+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1

    Smile Conditioning of a House

    Hi,

    We have been living in a new house for about 5 years now. Is there anything that we should be doing to condition our house and keep it in a good condition?

    For example,

    What should we do about the leaves in the gutters? Hire someone or do it ourselves?

    There is a weird smell that is coming from the faucets. What should we do? Get someone or buy a solution?

    How should I clean the dirty black stuff behind the dryer ( tube)? If I hire someone to do it, how much would it be? We have Whirlpool brand (clothing)washer and dryer.

    Since the house is 5 years old ( we bought it new), should I paint the house ( inside and outside)? If not, how many years should I wait to paint it?

    Also, some of the tops of the stove is not turning on when I turn the nob. What should I do about this?

    Please let me know.

    Thanks!
    Daphne

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7,156

    Default Re: Conditioning of a House

    Quote Originally Posted by BeijingPanda101 View Post
    We have been living in a new house for about 5 years now. Is there anything that we should be doing to condition our house and keep it in a good condition?
    All homes need regular maintenance, regardless of their age.

    Quote Originally Posted by BeijingPanda101 View Post
    What should we do about the leaves in the gutters? Hire someone or do it ourselves?
    When debris is left in the gutter, it provides acids as well as holds moisture in the gutter, causing rust and deterioration. Gutters should be cleared whenever it is necessary to do so, which is primarily during the fall, however if you're surrounded by evergreens that drop needles, then it is a year round issue. Whether to do it yourself or hire it done will depend on your comfort level with ladders and heights.

    Quote Originally Posted by BeijingPanda101 View Post
    There is a weird smell that is coming from the faucets. What should we do? Get someone or buy a solution?
    What kind of smell? If it's sulfur (rotten eggs ) then there's little you can do without installing a filtration/purification system. Are you on a well or a municipal water system, if municipal, then a call to them may be in order. If private well, then I'd have the water analyzed.

    Quote Originally Posted by BeijingPanda101 View Post
    How should I clean the dirty black stuff behind the dryer ( tube)? If I hire someone to do it, how much would it be? We have Whirlpool brand (clothing)washer and dryer.
    Dirty black stuff? Is it soot like something is burning, or is it powdery, like a belt being worn/eaten? Is there an odor to either the dryer or the black stuff? It might be as simple as vacuuming and washing the area affected. It might be that there is a problem with the dryer that needs to be addressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by BeijingPanda101 View Post
    Since the house is 5 years old ( we bought it new), should I paint the house ( inside and outside)? If not, how many years should I wait to paint it?
    Exterior painting should be done as necessary to maintain a protected envelope for the house as well as aesthetics. Knowing how poorly homes are built these days, I'd say it's time to be looking at repainting, particularly if you see peeling, blistering, bare areas. Interior painting has more to do with aesthetics than anything else. Sometimes vacuuming or washing the walls will suffice. If you see lots of shadows or the walls are excessively scuffed or dirty, then I'd recommend repainting.

    Quote Originally Posted by BeijingPanda101 View Post
    Also, some of the tops of the stove is not turning on when I turn the nob. What should I do about this?
    Gas or electric? On electric tops it's common for the burners to burn out or be improperly installed (not making good contact ). Remove the burner, inspect. Replace if damaged, reinstall if it looks fine. On gas tops it's common for igniter wires to get damaged. Inspect and repair any wires.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •