+ Reply to Thread

Default how to clean oily salad dressing off trex deck

We have a trex composite deck and our daughter spilled a bunch of oily salad dressing (balsamic vinigrette) on the deck. I tried to clean it with dish soap hoping it would get the oil out, but it didn't. What is something we can use that won't strip the color of the decking?
    Thank you!

Default Re: how to clean oily salad dressing off trex deck

A tri-sodium-phosphate solution may help, I've had reasonable success with that, though the stain remained even though the oil was removed.

Steam may also help draw out the oil. I've been testing steam cleaners recently, and while I've not done this particular test, steam does clean and emulsify grease and oils well. Here are the machines that I've personally used and reviewed.

Ladybug XL 2300
    SteamFast SF 275
    SteamFast SF 246
    Vapamore MR 100
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: how to clean oily salad dressing off trex deck

Here's the instructions given to me for Trek brand decking ... "All food spills should be removed as soon as possible. The surface must be cleaned within seven days to maintain the stain warranty. To remove, spray off with a hose and use hot, soapy water and a stiff-bristle brush to remove spills from embossing pattern."

Perhaps TSP suggested by A.Spruce may work.
    I'd be curious if it does.
    OP, if you try the TSP please post back your results.