+ Reply to Thread

Default Pex, Pex-Al-Pex, Onix.....

Good, better, best??

radiant floor heating, staple up. huge price difference for some of these types of tubing. I can put in almost a whole radiant system, boiler and everything, for the price of just the onix tubing in the same project. what are the advantages and disadvantages? Will i get similar results with the $.35 pex than i would with the other two types?

Thanks

Jon

Default Re: Pex, Pex-Al-Pex, Onix.....

Your results are going to be dictated by the radiant heat loss, design, control strategy and heating plant. The tubing is just the conveyor belt that the water moves through.

Just make sure the tubing you choose has an oxygen barrier, check the warranty, and that mfg application quide for proper installation. All of the above will outlast everyone of us. Are some better than others technically. Yes.

To answer your question on performance need to know more about the application. Slab? Joist Heating with or witout plates? Light weight pour? etc.

My system will be between-the-joist staple up. I read with the onix tube you do not need the plates, is this correct?

What I got from the previous post is that I can buy the $.30/foot pex and use plates, hook it up to an efficient, quality boiler/system and get the same results that i would if i used the onix tubing which is at least five times the price as regular pex. True or False?

I'm not a big fan of joist heating without plates unless I am doing floor warming only. If the radiant is my main heat source I always use plates. Why?

1. Requires the use of lower water temps.
    2. Faster Floor Response Time.
    3. A better distribution of even heat throughout the entire floor
    surface. No hot spots of stripeing.

Again the tubing itself has nothing to do with the performance of the system unless it's installed wrong.