+ Reply to Thread

Default Concrete patio poured next to wood siding...ROTTING SIDING

I purchased my home six years ago. The patio was poured (9 years ago) completely even with the wood siding, no space between the patio and the siding. All the trim (10..2 x 2's and 3.. 4 x 2's) is completed rotted where they have touched the patio. Several places in the siding have rotted to the point that I can poke my finger through the siding. There is no space between the patio and concrete. I attempted to caulk three years ago, but that was ineffective. I have contractors coming to look at both the siding and the patio. (The patio has sunk and slopes toward the house in a small 2 feet section). Do I need to make sure the patio is fixed to allow a space between the concrete and the siding? Should I pour a new patio? What should I ask the contractors?

Thanks

Default Re: Concrete patio poured next to wood siding...ROTTING SIDING

GMAC,

It is never a good idea to have concrete in contact with wood. Concrete is very porous (ja, it seems hard and impermeable, but it ain't!)and will wick water into the wood. Where codes are followed, the wood has to be pressure treated, such as baseplates on concrete basement floors.

Without a picture, it is hard to quite picture your situation. However, it is never a good idea to have concrete pitched toward the house. Of course you can replace the whole slab with properly pitched concrete. An option might be cutting the slab back from the wall and installing a french drain with stone and perforated pipe to intercept and drain the water away from the house.

Your contractor is at a disadvantage in giving you a quote until he opens up the wall and finds out how extensive the damage is. You are lucky if it is only the siding board. It is very likely that the sill plate and stud ends are rotted also. The repair could get fairly involved if the plate and studs are rotted and have to be replaced or "sistered" with new studs. Your contractor should be able to give you a price range of best and worst case scenario.

Hi there should be a 6" gap from siding to concrete slab {6" below the siding**to avoid rot and deterioration.
    Hope its not a large patio.

6" is a little overkill, 1" - 3" will suffice. The most important thing is that the concrete not be in contact with the siding, it is the contact that allows moisture to wick into the siding.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hi over kill is a good thing...... codes requiring 6" masonry clearance and 8" soil seem to be coming into fashion. I think the 6" is also to discourage insect damage.
    Last edited by Timothy Miller; 07-01-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: entered too soon

When you're talking about earth/wood contact, yes, more is better. In this instance pest and standing water should be a minimal threat, so closer would be acceptable and more aesthetic/ergonomic.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!