+ Reply to Thread

Default How do you conform sidepanel of cabinet to bulging wall?

I'm putting up some wall cabinets as base cabinets. And, am trying to figure out how to cut the side panel so that it follows and conforms to a bulge in the wall. Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

I thought I saw something on how to do that in one of the TOH shows. The wall's "low" spots along the side have already been shimmed. Now all I need to do is to shape the sidepanel so that it goes and butts up against the wall so it hides the shims and meets the bulge.

Default Re: How do you conform sidepanel of cabinet to bulging wall?

You don't, you add a filler strip along the side of the cabinet where the face frame meets the wall to fill the gap created by walls with bumps or out of square to the back wall, then the countertop is fitted to any irregularity of the wall. If it's the cabinet back where the gap is created, you can either use a filler strip attached to the back edge or use a piece of scribe moulding to cover the gap, just depends on how severe the gap and your personal preference.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 12-20-2008 at 09:24 PM.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Not sure, but I think the OP means "how" as in what tool(s) and technique.

If so......you would hold either the filler strip,straightedge or even a level..... up against the wall so that it is plumb.....and then set a pair of dividers to the widest gap that is present.

Next, trace along the wall with the "gapped" divider/compass while holding the filler strip in place (plumb again, of course). This will mark/register the curves of the wall onto the filler. Cut along the line with a sabre-saw, bandsaw or jigsaw and you should have a fit. (Keep the blade on the "waste" side of the line you drew.)

If this is your first time trying this, you might want to do a trial run with a different piece of stock such as a piece of stiff cardboard or a scrap of 1/4" ply or similar. (Make sure the trial piece has a dead-straight edge on it to put toward the wall....just like your filler strip has.)

As you run the dividers down the wall, make sure you keep the axis of the two divider points 90 degrees to the wall surface you're tracing or you'll alter the width of the setting. IOW, don't allow the dividers to twist around.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 12-20-2008 at 10:01 PM.

You may be right about that ****ie, I understood it to mean that there was a knot in the wall and the side or back of the cabinet required modification. I've run into this a few times, which was the root of my answer.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

And you may be right.

It all depends upon what is meant by "side panel". Would normally interpret this to mean the side/sidewall of the cabinet, but further descriptions lead me to believe that fitting the side of the face-frame or filler strip to the wall is what is in question. Don't know for sure, but either way we've posted some info that should cover the very basics of either/both situations.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 12-20-2008 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    Not sure, but I think the OP means "how" as in what tool(s) and technique.
    Yes, thank you. I am sorry I wasn't too clear... The "sidepanel" goes over the cabinet side and is just a little bigger than the side and one is suppose to be able to cut it to fit for bulges/lows. I just didn't know the technique/steps for doing so. But your explanation seems to make sense.

My thanks to both of ya...

You're welcome, glad to have helped.

Ah yes. It's all very clear now. You mean a finished cover-panel to put a finished look on the end cabinet side. I shoulda realized that, but it didn't register with me. No fault on your part.

Happy fitting. You'll do just fine.

The act of marking so you can make it conform is called scribing or to scribe.
    Many very well written articles (with pictures, diagrams or videos) are available on the web. Search "how to scribe wood" (without the quotes) or something similiar. One such article is:
    http://www.rd.com/17872/article17872.html

Those side skin or return panels can be a bit tricky. If you clamp them on the side of your cabinet or set them proud to the room, and use a scribe tool (to mark with) which is offset the same distance that the not to be cut edge of the panel is presently "proud" before you mark the to be scribed edge, then you should have a perfect line. You can use a jig saw, a grinder, a router, file, plane, rasp or a host of other tools to assist you in cutting and fine-tuning the scribed panel to fit exactly to the irregularities of the surface you are fitting to. To avoid tear-out and chipping of your finished trimmed panel, after you've marked the panel you may want to follow your line with a razor knife or similar cutting tool to cut through the surface of the wood finish or the foiled surface or veneer layer, then when you do go at it with your cutting tool cut on the waste side of your line then you can fine-tune it with a sanding block, rasp, file, hand plane, etc.

Good luck with your project.