+ Reply to Thread

Default Squealing waterline

My water in my mother-in-law’s house has been steadily declining so today I replaced her pressure regulator. The water pressure went from 10psi to a stable 45 psi. The only thing now with the proper pressure she has a horrible squealing. It seems to be coming from the main water shut off if I back the pressure down it stops but the pressure drops off to 20 psi.. could the rubber washer on the stem of the the ¾ turn valve come loose and restrict water flow causing the squeal the valve must be 15+ years old I will be replacing it with a ball valve
    Last edited by chops; 12-19-2008 at 06:19 PM.

Default Re: Squealing waterline

Quote Originally Posted by chops View Post
    My water in my mother-in-law’s house has been steadily declining so today I replaced her pressure regulator. The water pressure went from 10psi to a stable 45 psi. The only thing now with the proper pressure she has a horrible squealing. It seems to be coming from the main water shut off if I back the pressure down it stops but the pressure drops off to 20 psi.. could the rubber washer on the stem of the the ¾ turn valve come loose and restrict water flow causing the squeal the valve must be 15+ years old I will be replacing it with a ball valve
    Gate valves go bad. they can fail to open and close despite the handle turning. This tends to show up when the valves haven't been opened/closed regularly and the first time you go to shut it off the water (close the valve) you do your work, then THINK you're opening it again and they either don't close fully or if they do they won't open INSIDE despite what you do with the handle.

When you shut the water off to replace the pressure regulator it (gate valve) probably didn't fully open and that's causing the cavitation (squealing noise), restriction and higher inlet pressure to the pressure regulator.

You're probably now getting low flow in the house now AND low pressure now since you describe a restriction and you've reducing pressure with the new pressure reducing valve. There may also be another restriction, crimping, further up the supply side, may have been the original problem that still isn't cured (like a gate valve not fully open BEFORE the water meter, crimped line, etc.). The original pressure regulator may have been fine and not needed replacement, or just needed its sediment screen cleaned and you still have a pre-existing restriction before it.

Default Re: Squealing waterline

Sir thanks for the reply No matter where I turn the water on in the home be it the kitchen, 2nd floor bathroom, basement I get this squeal and the only thing I see in common with all these different lines is the pressure regulator that I replaced and the main ¾ water shut off valve turn down gate valve before the meter do you think as I do just by the process of elimination the shut off is the only logical cause. It’s no big deal for me to shut the water off at the street and replace the valve
    Last edited by chops; 12-19-2008 at 06:46 PM.