+ Reply to Thread

Default 2 ceiling fans needs speed control switch

Please help me with this problem I have. I have two ceiling fans wired on a 3 way circuit. What I am trying to do is put a speed control switch to control the fan(s) speed. It is my understanding that I need a 3 amp speed control switch in order for the speeds on the fans to work properly. I would not mind disabling one of the switches as I have never used it to turn on the fans. I think I can find a single pole 3amp speed control. I need to know what my best options are.
    I have called a couple of electrical supply houses and they do not have a 3 way 3 amp fan control switch. I have found a product made by Lutron but it requires a module place in the fan base. I don't like that option due to the fact that the fans are 20 feet up in the ceiling. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: 2 ceiling fans needs speed control switch

Thinking... I just installed fans with a remote receiver that wired in at the fan box. (also 20 ft up) For this fan, the control unit had 2 wires, hot and neutral, that controlled the fan speed. There was another wire for the light kit. If you have all the wires running to a switch box, I wonder if you can wire in the remote receiver at the switch, instead of up at the fan.

Not sure if the remote receiver is small enough to fit inside a typical switch box, or if that meets code. Not sure why it wouldn't though, as it normally just sits inside the decorative cowling at the fan base.

John

IMR - I assumed OP has a fan installed where a there was originally just a light fixture on a 3-way circuit, probably in a stairwell since access is 20 ft high.

This makes me think of an issue with my original reply. If the fan has a lightkit you want to control separately, the controller at the wall switch won't work, as it will effect all power going to the fan base.

A fan remote kit is your best bet, but you'll have to go up 20 ft to install it. You'll have full control of your fan and light without having to run new wiring. 20ft up sucks, but you only have to do it once.

Oh.. might want to put in fresh bulbs while you're up there.

John

I don't have lights in the fans. I guess your saying to but two wireless fan control switches in. Wire them in on top of each fan?
    Wouldn't you have to control each fan separately?
    Why do the fans work on a 1.5 amp switch (3 way) and when you add a 3 way 1.5 amp speed control switch only on and off work? The speed control does not control the speed of the fans. I am trying to find a way to use the switch box that is already there.
    Thanks for the help any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.

See my attachment.

First figure shows what I think you have hooked up.

Figure two shows how I have my new fans installed, with remote receiver installed at the fan base.

Figure three shows a hybrid, replacing one of your switches with a remote receiver. You need to do a little research to make sure your fan will work with this type of remote and you'll need to have the neutral running through your switch box. With only two conductors, I'm sure it varies the voltage to control fan speed. This style will not work with all fans.

Make sense?

John
    Attached Files Attached Files

The Speed Control has electronics in it which might draw more current on the start up while the standard switch is either off or on and is not using a coil or ic chip to control the speed of the fan.

I am putting up 2 fans controlled by 3 way switches and one is too high to change the speed but that is what the customer wants so it will be hard to turn them on and off ar different locations and then have the ability to adjust the spped but I guess I am limited and not breaking the bank to contol them from 2 locations...

Hope you find a solution.

MMeehan