+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finishing

Default Finishing

Forgive all the questions, it's just nice to have found a community of pros so forthcoming with advice.

This may be a silly one. I find that when putting on switch plates, outlet covers, etc... the metal screwdriver tip mars the painted screw head easily. I've started combating this with a little electrical tape on the tip of the screwdriver. Any better ways? I've often thought vinyl screwdriver tips would be a good idea for this task but can't find any.

Default Re: Finishing

Quote Originally Posted by deadshort View Post
    ***......... Not quite sure what to say. In 30+ years I have never even thought about it. Insert the driver in the slot with proper size driver and drive home with not to much pressure. Am I missing something? Your not using a battery powered driver are you?

Anal retentive perhaps?
    Anal retentive, obsessive compulsive, you name it! I just find it mars the finish on the screws (even with a hand screwdriver), and I don't like that. I will continue with my piece of electrical tape solution, it seems to be working to my satisfaction.

Now I feel paranoid - can I be the only person on the planet with this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by DougLanglois View Post
    Anal retentive, obsessive compulsive, you name it! I just find it mars the finish on the screws (even with a hand screwdriver), and I don't like that. I will continue with my piece of electrical tape solution, it seems to be working to my satisfaction.

Now I feel paranoid - can I be the only person on the planet with this problem?
    Perhaps the only one who's concerned about it.

You might be able to find a plastic screwdriver for this. Hobby stores may also have small wooden dowels that are trimmed flat. I know we use these where I work (electronics) but I don't know where they get them.

You might try Radio Shack. They use to carry tunning tools for TVs that included plastic screw drivers. Or get face plates with stainless steel screws.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb