+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default converting electric stove to propane

Looking for pros and cons for switching from electric stove to propane. Any thoughts?

Default Re: converting electric stove to propane

From a cook's perspective I prefer gas for cooktop and electric for baking and roasting.

Dual fuel if a range.

If you don't yet have a propane tank, buy your own. If you rent the tank, you will be bound to buy the propane from the company you are renting if from -- and they just might charge twice as much as "open market" propane. Buy purchasing your own tank, every time you need a fill-up, you can call around to find the cheapest price.

Actually, with some companies, you don't really "rent" the tank. They'll loan you the tank as long as you buy your propane from them. Other companies won't fill a loaned tank. This leaves you over a barrel (tank?) when it comes to prices -- since they are the only ones who can fill it, they can charge whatever they want. And unlike the monopoly electric utility, they aren't necessarily regulated by the state. After a few years -- especially if you use a lot of propane -- you'll pay for the tank many times over in higher fuel costs.

Many of the modern gas ovens use an electric igniter instead of a pilot light, and they cycle on and off instead of "throttling" like some of the old gas ovens. They won't work during a power outage. Most newer cooktops also use an electric igniter -- but many of these can be lit with a match.

Be sure to ask if the appliance can be used during a power outage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Many of the modern gas ovens use an electric igniter instead of a pilot light, and they cycle on and off instead of "throttling" like some of the old gas ovens. They won't work during a power outage. Most newer cooktops also use an electric igniter -- but many of these can be lit with a match.

Be sure to ask if the appliance can be used during a power outage.
    Good points that I was just about to toss out there. We've got a gas stove and it's great when the power goes out because we can still the use the cooktop (oven is out for the reason stated ... ). The only thing I'd suggest is using a wand style lighter and not a match when lighting, since most gas appliances go "whoosh" when the light, which will singe all the hair off your hand in a hurry. Nothin' spells loving like singed hair near the oven.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    The only thing I'd suggest is using a wand style lighter and not a match when lighting, since most gas appliances go "whoosh" when the light, which will singe all the hair off your hand in a hurry. Nothin' spells loving like singed hair near the oven.
    C'mon, ya big wussy. A little burnt hair is the smell of a real man.

Or.......do it the safe/wussy way and hold the lit match down there by the burner *before* you turn on the gas.

I'm betting you don't do any of those fancy flaming dishes like the pro chefs do, either. Probably stand back 15' sippin' on your strawberry daiquiri and just watch.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    C'mon, ya big wussy. A little burnt hair is the smell of a real man.

Or.......do it the safe/wussy way and hold the lit match down there by the burner *before* you turn on the gas.

I'm betting you don't do any of those fancy flaming dishes like the pro chefs do, either. Probably stand back 15' sippin' on your strawberry daiquiri and just watch.
    Anything I say (including this comment ) could be used against me, so I shall remain silent.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I could be wrong, but... I believe gas cookstoves require a 120V 15-20A outlet to power the igniter, clock, etc. Your electric range has a 120/240V 50A circuit, and you're not going to connect a gas range to that nor are you going to find an adapter.

Since a cord coming up from behind the range and running across the counter would look bad (it's might not be permitted anyway), you should also plan to install or have installed a 120V outlet next to the existing one.

There is an alternative: replace the existing 120/240V outlet with a standard 120V outlet using the existing wiring. You'll need to use some kind of connector to connect the existing wire to a 12 gauge jumper so you can connect it to the outlet. If you've got aluminum wire, be sure to use a connector rated for aluminum wire and for the size wire you're hooking up. (The aluminum and copper wires shouldn't touch.) You'll also need to replace the 50A double-pole breaker with a 20A single-pole, and tape up the ends of the unused wire in the cable.

You are correct about the unit needing a 120v outlet for powering the controls, ignition, etc.