+ Reply to Thread

Default wallpaper removal disaster

We recently removed wallpaper from our front entry hallway. It was adhered directly to the sheet-rock without any preparation.
    When we removed the wallpaper, it ripped down to the paper layer of the sheet-rock in many locations.
    We have not taken down all of the wallpaper for fear of this happening again.
    How do we take down the rest of the wallpaper without ruining the sheet-rock.
    How do we fix the sheet-rock that has already been affected.
    Do we remove the paste from the sheet-rock in those areas where it did not rip?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0629.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	3649  

Smile Re: wallpaper removal disaster

Alexa,

This happened to me many times over my painting career. You are paying for the sins of the wallpaper hanger! The walls were not properly sealed before the paper was hung.

What to do now? I like to clean up the edges of the torn paper first. Cut around the edge of torn drywall with a razor knife and peel back the edge to get a nice clean edge. Give the torn dry wall a light sanding to get rid of the fuzzy layers that are sticking up. Now paint the exposed brown drywall paper with a non-water soluble primer such as the original Kilz. This will glue down the knap of the paper. After it is sealed and protected, you now can safely wash the remaining wallpaper glue off the rest of the wall. Now you can patch the sealed drywall with drywall topping compound. When dry, sand it smooth with a sanding block. Spot prime the new patch. Follow this with a general priming of the whole room. If you are using a strong final paint color, have the primer tinted close to the final room color. Now paint the room. Now that wasn't so hard, was it?