+ Reply to Thread

Default Heat pump & thermostat question

Hey folks,

My house has two heat pump systems (Goodman PHKJ0601F), each attached to a Honeywell RTHB6300 thermostat. The wiring from the pump to the t-stat is R->R (with a jumper to the other R terminal), Y->Y, G->G, B->W. This set up works: I turn it to heat, and hot air comes out; I turn it to cool, and cold air comes out.

However, I want to change my thermostats. The current ones don't let me set the number of cooling cycles, or have a 'span' feature like a Hunter t-stat, so I find the unit turning on/off frequently. I'd prefer to be able to set it at 81, have it let the room warm to 83 or so, and then cool it down to 79, so that the machine runs longer but less often.

I recently purchased 2 Hunter 44260 t-stats. They are, according to their literature, compatible with heat pumps and have a 'span' feature that should give me the performance that I want.

When I went to install them (same wiring as above), I could not get them to blow cold air. When I turned on the heat, they blew hot air; when I turned on the cool, they either did nothing or blew hot air. (I did this about a week ago and honestly can't remember.)

Any ideas on what I need to do to install these t-stats and have them work properly? I do have the receipt, so if I need to purchase a different t-stat to have it work, I can do that, too.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.
    -Shalie

Default Re: Heat pump & thermostat question

I tried to look up the stat you listed and found the B in the wrong place, at any rate the honeywell you have or had should be programmable. Google the link below and the instruction manual should put you in the right direction.

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/P...e/RTH6300B.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    I tried to look up the stat you listed and found the B in the wrong place, at any rate the honeywell you have or had should be programmable. Google the link below and the instruction manual should put you in the right direction.

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/P...e/RTH6300B.htm
    Read the manual on my old system to make the new one work? What a novel idea.

Thanks. I, umm... appreciate your taking the time to reply?

If I read your post right your saying that the stats you have now (Honeywell) can't be programmed. If that is what your saying read my reply , it says they can be programmed, follow the link I posted to a users manual which will tell you how