+ Reply to Thread

Default Laminate floor separating at ends

Two years ago I remodeled my kitchen and installed laminate floors in the kitchen and dining nook. Soon after, some of the laminate pieces began to separate at the ends. I complained to the contractor. who kept promising but is now out of business.

We want to sell the house next year. I have checked with various flooring people, some of whom thought the problem is that they had installed the cabinets and fridge on top of the floating laminate floor, so that some of it can float, but some cannot, and so they separate at the ends.

Does anyone have any idea of how to fix this?

One suggestion I was given is to use a toe-kick saw to saw through the boards where they meet the cabinets and the refrigerator. I just don't know if that will work. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo_121808_001.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	1912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo_121808_002.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	1913  

San Diego, CA

Default Re: Laminate floor separating at ends

I'd sure want to get the weight of the cabinets off the flooring, first. Cut it loose with your saw and see if you can wedge some sort of a pry bar into the cut and twist it so that it pushes the boards together (maybe).

Certainly, getting the weight off the flooring is the first step. If they did any nailing of the flooring when they put it in, you might be stuck again but here's hoping that it's still a floating floor and the boards will move for you.

Good Luck.

Default Re: Laminate floor separating at ends

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll see if it works. If not, we may have no choice but to just pull it up and put something else down.