+ Reply to Thread

Question Composite decking question

We added a ramp on the back of our house from he sidewalk to the covered back deck to accomodate my mother-in-law's wheelchair.

Because it had a longer warranty and was a much greener solution, we used ChoiceDeck composite decking for the surface. That's turned out to be a horrible decision in wintertime. Any moisture at all when temperatures are at or below freezing turns the ramp into a surface more like greased glass than anything. There's no traction at all and it's dangerous for all of us.

You can't salt composite decking and you basically have to wait for spring thaw or warmer weather to be able to use the ramp.

Is there any remedy other than replacing the decking with pressure-treated wood?

Default Re: Composite decking question

You could fasten some non-skid strips to the decking. You can buy products made for the purpose. A cheaper solution is to use rolled roofing, which has all the charm, class, good looks, and functionality of one of those plastic construction outhouses.

I think that is why most composite decking manufacturers have added a grain to their products. They claim it makes it more realistic, and that is does.
    I second Fencepost's advice.

Quote Originally Posted by jvoorhies View Post
    We added a ramp on the back of our house from he sidewalk to the covered back deck to accomodate my mother-in-law's wheelchair.

Because it had a longer warranty and was a much greener solution, we used ChoiceDeck composite decking for the surface. That's turned out to be a horrible decision in wintertime. Any moisture at all when temperatures are at or below freezing turns the ramp into a surface more like greased glass than anything. There's no traction at all and it's dangerous for all of us.

You can't salt composite decking and you basically have to wait for spring thaw or warmer weather to be able to use the ramp.

Is there any remedy other than replacing the decking with pressure-treated wood?
    Of cource you can use icemelt products on your ChoiceDek as long as they are safe for lawns and concrete and don't contain oxy detergents, but don't use Rock Salt.. I'd of course avoid using the products with colorants/dyes added as well.

These types of ice melt products may indicate "will not harm concrete" or "will not kill grass". Sweep off excess accumulations and not let them sit longer than necessary otherwise you'll end up with salts accumulations, which you'd do (sweep) anyway because you certainly don't want it tracking into your home or vehicles. You can get calcium chloride snow/ice melt with no detergents or colorants at the same Lowes you got your Choice Dek materials from; my Lowes was selling it in 40 lb bags much cheaper than in the smaller plastic containers. You can also call them, they'll happily send you updated information via email not only assuring you that you MAY use icemelt products, but updated info on cleaning recommendations and care. You can reach Customer Service (if calling from the US) at 1-800-951-5117.