+ Reply to Thread

Default ventilation or insulation problem ?

I have a verry unique problem. my house is a 1950's pre fab.my rafters do not sit on the top plate of my walls.there is a bracket that is atached to wall and rafter .in the winter that bracket sweats and water runs down the inside of my walls. I have wall paper in the house and all walls are staind every 16 ihches. I have tried to stop air from escaping by spraying foam in the place where wall and ceiling meet but that does not help . it looks like i have enough insulation . I added ridgevent in 2005 (new roof) i have gable vents and 2 box vents. soffits are vented but not all the way .
    House is a Ranch style with 2 foot overhangs .any help would be grateful .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	1908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	1909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	1910  
    Last edited by Steve Gannon; 12-17-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Default Re: ventilation or insulation problem ?

Since you have the vent baffles in place, I would try to put insulation against the plates in the attic space. This may keep them from getting so cold that they sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    hmmm. could be a combination of things, has there been previous renovations done to the house. is there a vent pipe routed up into the attic space which doesnt continue outside.

was there a vapour barrier installed in the house only in some areas and not completely through the house. chances are there is a large amount of warm moist air making its way up into the attic which is condensing on the underside of the roof sheathing which then runs down to the bracket.

is there a roof leak
    there is no vent pipe . I have done many renovations ,new siding 2007 ,new roof 2005 ,furnace /AC 2004 ,doors 2007 ,2 new windows 2004,.the new furnace does not vent through the roof it goes out the back of the house. It does seem to be worse since the new furnace.but with the new vent out back i dont see how this could make any difference inside? still think it is ventilation.
    one more note on my house is that i have only 2 inch walls ,studs are turned flat with a horizantal stud in center , there is also no drywall insted there is aprox 1/4 in wood pannels walls and ceiling.

I don't think lack of ventilation in the attic space is the issue. From the picture, it didn't look like any moisture (dark spots) on the roof sheathing or rafters. I think it is thermal bridging on the brackets. They are exposed to the very cold air in the attic space and they thermally conduct that cold temp to the 1/4" paneling which also becomes very cold. The warm air from the living space contacts these cold spots on the paneling and condenses its moisture there. This is my best guess from the info at hand.

You could try covering a couple of the brackets with insulation to see if there is an improvement on those brackets before going through the "fun" of doing them all.

thnak you for in advice. here is a pic of bracket on inside .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bracket 001.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	1915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bracket 002 [320x200].JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	1916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bracket 004 [320x200].JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	1917  

This is a drastic solution, but you could build another wall inside, with the studs the proper orientation. That would give you more insulation, and you could finish off the walls with sheetrock or whatever.