+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Electrical Usage is Very High

Nice to hear that you have isolated and repaired your problems.
    We too are amazes at some of the replies. Who needs Comedy Central?

Since the house has been rewired, the electricians might not have "unloaded" the old wiring. Did you replace the junction box? Sounds like a major wiring issue in the 2 rooms. If you can, shut the power off in those 2 rooms at the junction box and read your meter for the next couple of days. Also, check to see if you have power at the outlets in the rooms even after you flip the breaker off.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie_fergler View Post
    we too are amazes at some of the replies. Who needs comedy central? :d
    lol :d :d

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    You started this topic string on 12-17 and report a lower electric bill received 9 days later (12-26), interesting. Note you said nothing about the actual usage being reduced during the most recent time period covered on the bill, the time period being billed, or if you've recently entered into a budget billing plan, etc.

Doubtful as to cause and effect you're attributing to corrections, repairs, etc.activites on/after 12-17 to a bill generated prior to 12-26 as being responsible for a 40% reduction in usage/consumption of measured electric power a most recently received monthly bill.

More likely a higher prior bill was due to a higher cost per delivered KWH used as the cost to generate the electricity was higher - oil prices have fallen dramatically in the recent weeks/months so that electic power generation purchased off the grid and/or produced by the local utility based on that costs fallen; an estimated read and the subsequent bill an actual read, and/or a change from higher summer rates to winter rates, a settlement bill from a budget plan, or earlier bill for a period of higher consumption - perhaps due to construction activites or use of air conditioners, the earlier billing period was for warmer weather, for example.

or a person could go out and actually read the meter themselves and calculate out their usage. I know what our rate is and can calculate out very closely what our bill will be, as well as the novel idea of being able to divide it out to see what the average perweek usage would be.

Quote Originally Posted by SearsHome View Post
    All,

Thank you for all of your help! And from some...needed comic relief.

After some time investigating...here are the results.

(1) the electric baseboard heater was running more often...the wall the thermostat was against was uninsulated, triggering it to run more frequently.

but here it the biggie...

(2) The outside wiring was hooked into the two rooms tripping. The upstairs bedroom breaker also had responsibility for the rear outside lights. The downstairs room had the front lights. While the electrical system was replaced, the outside lights were not. The wire running to the detached garage run through a metal pipe, which was rusted out. The wires at the end of the pipe were exposed. Similar type of issue in the front. So any water penetration triggered the breaks.

We replaced the exterior wiring and moved the thermostat...electric bill is now 40% less.

Thanks again!
    You started this topic string on 12-17 and report a lower electric bill received 9 days later (12-26), interesting. Note you said nothing about the actual usage being reduced during the most recent time period covered on the bill, the time period being billed, or if you've recently entered into a budget billing plan, etc. If you had said your meter readings for the days following correction of the electric heater/thermostat placement, etc. indicates a reduction in your most usage that would be different.

Doubtful as to cause and effect you're attributing to corrections, repairs, etc.activites on/after 12-17 to a bill generated prior to 12-26 as being responsible for a 40% reduction in usage/consumption of measured electric power on a most recently received monthly bill. Most electric utilities bill or adjust actual usage in arrears.

More likely a higher prior bill was due to a higher cost per delivered KWH used as the cost to generate the electricity was higher - oil prices have fallen dramatically in the recent weeks/months so that electic power generation purchased off the grid and/or produced by the local utility based on that costs fallen; an estimated read and the subsequent bill an actual read, and/or a change from higher summer rates to winter rates, a settlement bill from a budget plan, or earlier bill for a period of higher consumption - perhaps due to construction activites or use of air conditioners, the earlier billing period was for warmer weather, for example.

Glad to hear that you identified the safety issues you've mentioned and corrected them. I recommend you consider replacement of the COPDs for those circuits which were frequently tripping for the reasons outlined in my earlier post, especially considering the extreme situation regarding the conditions of those branch circuits that you reported possibly allowing direct shorts and/or overloads which were causing the.COPDs to trip frequently. If either or both of those COPDs were combination GFCI or Arc-Fault protection devices I would enhance that to STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that you consider replacement of the protection devices for those circuits.

As far as the comic relief, sometimes a spoonfull of sugar (ironic humor) helps the medicine go down (dealing with a higher than expected utility bill and encountering a dangerous wiring condition). I'm glad you appreciated it.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 12-27-2008 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    You started this topic string on 12-17 and report a lower electric bill received 9 days later (12-26), interesting. Note you said nothing about the actual usage being reduced during the most recent time period covered on the bill, the time period being billed, or if you've recently entered into a budget billing plan, etc. If you had said your meter readings for the days following correction of the electric heater/thermostat placement, etc. indicates a reduction in your most usage that would be different.

Doubtful as to cause and effect you're attributing to corrections, repairs, etc.activites on/after 12-17 to a bill generated prior to 12-26 as being responsible for a 40% reduction in usage/consumption of measured electric power on a most recently received monthly bill. Most electric utilities bill or adjust actual usage in arrears.

Glad to hear that you identified the safety issues you've mentioned and corrected them. I recommend you consider replacement of the COPDs for those circuits which were frequently tripping for the reasons outlined in my earlier post, especially considering the extreme situation regarding the conditions of those branch circuits that you reported possibly allowing direct shorts and/or overloads which were causing the.COPDs to trip frequently. If either or both of those COPDs were combination GFCI or Arc-Fault protection devices I would enhance that to STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that you consider replacement of the protection devices for those circuits.

As far as the comic relief, sometimes a spoonfull of sugar (ironic humor) helps the medicine go down (dealing with a higher than expected utility bill and encountering a dangerous wiring condition). I'm glad you appreciated it.
    ---------------------------

Blue RidgeParkway thank you for all your insights!

Actually, the timing of my posting and electrical bill are not the same...I have been dealing with this for some time. The latest bill shows no change in the kilowatt rates...just a drop in usage (kilowatts). I have been tracking it since...and it continues to run around this level. I write down my usage daily just to see if there are any spikes.

The electric baseboard was a 220...so when it activated, it was using significantly more power. While it had a programmable thermostat, meant to trigger it for just 3 hours a day...it seems it was going on much more frequently -- the wall temperature must have been dropping below the 60 degree setting (to prevent pipes from freezing).

My electrician is coming over again on Monday...which I could have you speak to him. But regardless, I will hand him your recommendations -- thanks again!

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by SearsHome View Post
    ---------------------------

Blue RidgeParkway thank you for all your insights!

Actually, the timing of my posting and electrical bill are not the same...I have been dealing with this for some time. The latest bill shows no change in the kilowatt rates...just a drop in usage (kilowatts). I have been tracking it since...and it continues to run around this level. I write down my usage daily just to see if there are any spikes.

The electric baseboard was a 220...so when it activated, it was using significantly more power. While it had a programmable thermostat, meant to trigger it for just 3 hours a day...it seems it was going on much more frequently -- the wall temperature must have been dropping below the 60 degree setting (to prevent pipes from freezing).

My electrician is coming over again on Monday...which I could have you speak to him. But regardless, I will hand him your recommendations -- thanks again!

Best regards!
    You're welcome. I think you might find this article helpful (faulty line-voltage thermostats for resistive heating devices - such as your electric baseboard heat). Moving the thermostat may have helped but may not be the final solution (especially if the thermostat is faulty). Having the heater on a poorly insulated wall or floor you might be heating more of the outdoors than the bathroom area - still recommend an audit for the reasons mentioned previously. Good luck with your projects.

Article link (click on link or copy and paste to a fresh browser window it displays trunkated): http://www.clarkpublicutilities.com/...s2008/08_09_16