+ Reply to Thread

Default Is it more beneficial to insulate walls from inside or house from outside

I have a ranch home that was built with cinder/cement block. There's little to no insulation in the walls. Is it more beneficial for me to have a plumber come in and disconnect my baseboard heat, tear the paneling off the walls, stud the walls out, insulate and then drywall or is there something out on the market that could be put on the outside of the house? Something that would give a good R-value and save on heating and cooling costs.

Default Re: Is it more beneficial to insulate walls from inside or house from outside

Hi i would consider having 2" of foam board insulation installed and then stucco the outside walls verses tearing up the interior. Not to mention having to stub out all the electrical outlets in the interior walls etc..

Default Re: Is it more beneficial to insulate walls from inside or house from outside

toomuchtodo:

The blocks on most cinder block walls are hollow in the center; if this is the case in your house, they can easily be filled from the top of the walls of the inside eaves with blown-in cellulose insulation.

Consult the Yellow Pages under "Insulation" for local contractors who do blown-in insulation.

The foam and stucco mentioned above is the best way to go. The concrete blocks will form a thermal mass that will hold heat into the cool nights and retain some of the cool from the night into the hottest parts of the day. I'd use at least 3" of foam though, 4" would be better.