+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Miter Saw

Default Miter Saw

On a recent TOH TV program, I believe I saw Tom Silva cut a board using a Sliding Compound Miter Saw move the saw from front to back.
    Assuming my eyes did not decieve me, anyone know why cut from front to back?
    Last edited by Sad Sack; 06-23-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: mis spelled front

Default Re: Miter Saw

Mine says to in the instructions.

If you cut back to front the blade teeth can dig into the wood and walk toward you.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Sack View Post
    On a recent TOH TV program, I believe I saw Tom Silva cut a board using a Sliding Compound Miter Saw move the saw from front to back.
    Assuming my eyes did not decieve me, anyone know why cut from front to back?
    You could do that, but then it would be called a radial arm saw.

For the reason Jack stated, it's for safety and ease of cutting. Pushing the saw through the material it is cutting on the up stroke and easy to control. Pulling the saw it's cutting on the down stroke and prone to biting in too aggressively and walking right into your lap.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

exactly, the blade is spinning to the back so it would act like a wheel wanting to push towards you, it also allows for dust and chips to be thrown away from the user
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Smile Re: Miter Saw

Thanks for y'alls help.