+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Red brick chimney with white crud

Our 1928 house in PA chimney has white crud and we are not sure how to clean it or even if we can. We thought about painting it but not even sure we can do that. Please help, we are remodeling the house and the chimney is going to look terrible.

I was reminded this weekend by my brother that we also had a coal furnace. Would this make a difference?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	window[1] (3).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	3641  
    Last edited by Cathy 68; 06-27-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: More information

Default Re: Red brick chimney with white crud

The problem is outside or in a room?
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    The problem is outside or in a room?
    S_M
    The chimney is outside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	window[1] (3).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	3640  

Hi,
    The discoloration isn't typical of what I normally see; green lichen deposits, mildew, or efflorescence.
    The color on my screen looks quite yellowish, and I don't know what it would be.
    What is being vented through that chimney? An oil furnace perhaps? The yellow could be a sulfur deposit leeching out from the flue.
    The course lines in the lower 1/3 of the unit do not sight very straight. They appear to be deforming/sagging. Does the chimney seem solid and stable? Sulfuric acid, a byproduct of combustion combined with moisture, really eats away mortar joints.
    If the mortar has degraded to the extent that it appears in the photo, it may be unstable and need to be pulled down and rebuilt.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    Hi,
    The discoloration isn't typical of what I normally see; green lichen deposits, mildew, or efflorescence.
    The color on my screen looks quite yellowish, and I don't know what it would be.
    What is being vented through that chimney? An oil furnace perhaps? The yellow could be a sulfur deposit leeching out from the flue.
    The course lines in the lower 1/3 of the unit do not sight very straight. They appear to be deforming/sagging. Does the chimney seem solid and stable? Sulfuric acid, a byproduct of combustion combined with moisture, really eats away mortar joints.
    If the mortar has degraded to the extent that it appears in the photo, it may be unstable and need to be pulled down and rebuilt.
    S_M
    Our contractor told us the chimney is stable he just does not know how to correct the condition. We do have an oil furnace that is being vented thru the chimney. Anything we can do? Thanks