Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Choice of electrical service panel

I'm having two 200A Zinsco/Sylvania panels replaced. I had a problem with one breaker and then discovered the dire track record of these panels overall.

Question is, what to choose to replace it?

Are there any stand out choices? Anything to completely avoid? Or should I just let my electrician spec it out? Cost isn't a problem, but I do like things to be worth their price.

Default Re: Choice of electrical service panel

My personal choice would be Square D.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I think Square D QO is your best bet - they are well made and available everywhere. I few of my friends also recommend Siemens.

So, sounds like Square D is the one to look for.

Next question - is familiarity with a panel important when looking for an electrician? I do have a good electrician, but I believe that he generally favors GE. If I want Sq. D, would I be best using an electrician that favors that panel? And vice versa - if I decide to stay loyal to this guy, is there benefit to letting him choose the panel (assuming it's on the favored list given above)?

He should be able to install any panel, installation is not that much different from one to the other. He is your employee on the job and should have no problem allowing you to chose what equipment you want.
    Jack

Alrighty. I'll stick with my guy and just ask him the cost differential between Sq. D QO and his usual supplier. Assuming it doesn't triple the cost of the project I'll go with the QO.

He's been good to me (even giving a bit of free phone advice) and I think the best way to recognize that is with a little loyalty.

One thing you should be aware of, there should be a label on the panel door listing compatible breakers. A lot of times panels get a bum rap because people go a big box store and get a breaker and don't pay attention to the model. Some of the people at those stores will tell them that their breaker will fit any panel.
    Jack

Question Re: Choice of electrical service panel

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Plus Homeline and QO are made to the same specs, according to the Schnieder Electric homepage.
    If this is true, why are QO breakers twice the price (at least) of Homeline breakers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    My guess is a smaller QO breaker results in a smaller panel size, which can be a plus. And of course the red trip flag built into a QO breaker, but not a Homeline.
    Jobs of mine have been bid with the existing panel taken into consideration, as it is a common practice to reuse breakers, whenever possible.
    Hope that does not start a flame war.....
    Interesting. I would hope that my electrician will not bid like this, since the whole point is to replace the crappy Zinsco stuff - I want new everything between house wiring and incoming service. But I will be sure to specifically ask!

Quote Originally Posted by jvande7471 View Post
    If this is true, why are QO breakers twice the price (at least) of Homeline breakers?
    This might answer the question, though it is Square D marketing material, so should be evaluated as such.

Difference between QO and Homeline
    Last edited by DougLanglois; 06-24-2010 at 07:38 PM.