+ Reply to Thread

Default Wood Decking over Concrete

I have a screen porch that has a concrete floor. We would like to put down wood decking so it appears to be a wooden floor like our deck outside it. What is the best way to do this?

Default Re: Wood Decking over Concrete

you'll need to put down wood sleepers to attach the decking to. youll need a hammer drill or rotary hammer. lay out 2x4's on their flat on the slab 16" on center then drill through them into the concrete and fasten them down with either galvanized strikers or 3/8"x 3" expansion bolts, the bolts should be counterbored and sunk so to not interfere with the deckboards. strikers are much cheaper though. then simply put down the deck boards same as usualy, use 2 1/4" nails or screws. i should mention there should be blocking in between the sleepers on the end so to close it off from rodents and to provide nailing for a trim board around the perimeter
    fire up the saw and make some dust

You could actually make floating panels rather than permanent attachment. This would make cleaning easier because you could pull up the panels to sweep, vacuum, mop, wash down, whatever. I used to install them back in my gazebo and hot tub days. The gazebo manufacturer would use 1x stock for both the runners and the top "deck"
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Could you not use adhesive instead of bolts to hold the sleepers down? Also, this will raise the flooring significantly and I don't have much space as it is to raise the floor, 3/4 of an inch. Any other solutions?

What is that 3/4" measurement? Bottom of the threshold ... Top?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

construction adhesive only for holding the sleepers wont work for an exterior use, after a couple years the glue will lose its hold
    fire up the saw and make some dust