+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Need help for my hardwood floor installation

After I finished nailing the third row, which is actually the first hidden nailed row, I stepped on it. It was good. But after I finished the 4th row and stepped it again, 2 short solid wood planks of 3rd row squeaked. The sound was obviously from tongue and groove. I'm wondering how does that happen and how to prevent squeak in installation. To fix squeak, can I add couple face nails to those two short planks?

Default Re: Need help for my hardwood floor installation

Quote Originally Posted by qhwang View Post
    After I finished nailing the third row, which is actually the first hidden nailed row, I stepped on it. It was good. But after I finished the 4th row and stepped it again, 2 short solid wood planks of 3rd row squeaked. The sound was obviously from tongue and groove. I'm wondering how does that happen and how to prevent squeak in installation. To fix squeak, can I add couple face nails to those two short planks?
    You probably need to flatten your subfloor.

is this for an existing home or is it an addition/new construction

it might not be the hardwood rubbing, it could the floor boards rubbing on the joists which means they need to be fastened down better

when i lay hardwood in a reno i screw down all the boards with 1 3/4 screws into the joists, for new construction or additions all the sheathing gets glued down with construction adhesive, both of which help eliminate sqeaks
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    is this for an existing home or is it an addition/new construction

it might not be the hardwood rubbing, it could the floor boards rubbing on the joists which means they need to be fastened down better

when i lay hardwood in a reno i screw down all the boards with 1 3/4 screws into the joists, for new construction or additions all the sheathing gets glued down with construction adhesive, both of which help eliminate sqeaks
    It's an existing room. I'm quite sure it's hardwood rubbing at joint. The strange thing is when I finish a row, they are very good by testing. But after the next row is finished, one or two joints of previous row may squeak. Now I have almost finish entire room. Many joints have this problem. I use the Bostitch Manual Hardwood Flooring Nailer, so I use a lot of strength to hit. Is it possible when hitting very strong, the new row has impact to the previous row and make that joint loose a bit?