+ Reply to Thread

Default Sealing/Priming a paint stripped plaster wall?

I have a 1951 ranch home in TN. Our walls (after doing some renovating) are made of some kind of transitional plaster product that was only used a few years here in TN. It's very thick, two layers, one thick cement/concrete layer with a thick plaster layer over it (so our area contractors tell me ~ I guess "rock lath"?).

I painted the bathroom with oil base when we moved in 19 years ago (oil base being already used) and it is now, for the first time, cracking and peeling back to the plaster....I think. I say /I think / because the underlying color is pink. I have used stripper to take off all the five layers of paint (coming off in one nice rubbery layer leaving the underlying plaster perfect - but pink), but it has no affect whatsoever on the pink, the white plaster is underneath. It's almost like some kind of VERY thin layer of flat paint. It doesn't seem to be any kind of traditional glossy oil paint that is on the subsequent layers that came off. The pink on the plaster is washable/scrapable and doesn't come off at all (unless gouged).

So, I should be finished with stripping in the next few days and cleaning with TSP. I plan to go back with latex this time but I first need to prime and /maybe/ seal? I planned on using Zinnser Stain Cover (primer and sealer) but am wondering if I need to do something with this pink stuff first or just seal and prime right over it?

Anyone have a clue what this pink stuff is and should I be concerned? I don't want to ignore it and have all my paint come back up again to this same thing. The reason we think the paint was peeling and cracking was our teen age boys are now showering a lot more (sports) and take very long showers (a one bathroom house) and we didn't have adequate ventilation. We had a vent, but recently replaced it with something stronger to prevent possible paint probolems again.
    Last edited by RanchRenovator; 06-22-2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: corrections

Default Priming/Painting over Plaster Weld?

Anyone have a clue what this pink stuff is and should I be concerned?

Ok, update ~ with some local calls to some plastering contractors, they tell me it's Plaster Weld, but that they think it strange that it is on top of the plaster, since a plaster finishing coat should go on top Plaster Weld.

So the question ~ how do I prime (can I prime) over the Plaster Weld?

Default Re: Sealing/Priming a paint stripped plaster wall?

Ranch,
    That would have been my guess that the pink is one of the bonding agents plasters use. Normally it is used where new and old plaster meet, as plaster does not like to be feathered out real thin. I do find it odd that it would be everywhere. I doubt that it will present a problem, but I would make a small test area first. I would use a dedicated acrylic drywall/plaster sealer, followed by a couple coats of an acrylic paint which indicates it is for bath areas. If there is no exhaust vent in the bath, I would put one in. Older homes, especially in baths with windows, did not often have them.

Default Re: Sealing/Priming a paint stripped plaster wall?

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Ranch,
    That would have been my guess that the pink is one of the bonding agents plasters use. Normally it is used where new and old plaster meet, as plaster does not like to be feathered out real thin. I do find it odd that it would be everywhere. I doubt that it will present a problem, but I would make a small test area first. I would use a dedicated acrylic drywall/plaster sealer, followed by a couple coats of an acrylic paint which indicates it is for bath areas. If there is no exhaust vent in the bath, I would put one in. Older homes, especially in baths with windows, did not often have them.
    Thanks for the input. I bought Gardz to cover and will use a latex primer and paint. I also ended up calling the Larsen folks who manufacture Plaster Weld and talked to them about it. They too, recommended using acrylic based products, and agreed that it's unusual to see it on top of plaster but was perfectly safe to paint on.

Thanks for the speedy response!!
    Last edited by RanchRenovator; 06-22-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling