+ Reply to Thread

Question combination wood and tile flooring

I've seen a home on TV that had combination wood and tile flooring. Specifically, large tiles were laid on the diagonal with wood pieces (perhaps 5" wide) laid between them creating a lattice-like pattern. I also saw a similar floor that used concrete instead of tile but with the same wood lattice pattern inlaid.

I need to know how you abutt the wood to the tile to allow for wood expansion. Do you use a flexible grout or what? I would like to do this installation on the flooring in my entry hall but not sure how to go about it.

Does anyone out there know? I've searched the web a lot but found little information that is helpful. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks --- DP

Default Re: combination wood and tile flooring

It will depend upon the type of flooring you decide to use. Engineered flooring will have less expansion/contraction than milled lumber, however, at 5" to 8" in width you're not going to get any appreciable wood movement from either type of flooring. I personally wouldn't mix wood flooring with concrete or tile (as described ), but I can see where it is doable.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I too wonder if anyone knows more about this flooring idea/design. Does this style have a name which I can research more? What type of edge must the boards have? Is the tongue side of T&G trimmed off or is another type of board used? Also, I wonder how the boards are layed. They could be long runs with perpendicular sections all being short or they could be laced in. Any and all thoughts appreciated.

i will respond with the answer to that real soon, i saw this and i want to respond to it but dont have time right now.. but will.. email me if you like, i have to explain it..

Question Re: combination wood and tile flooring

I just saw that edition of House Crashers, too, and love that floor. We were also wanting directions on how to install it. I wonder if this combo would eliminate the ability to ever refinish the floor. Here's the link to watch the episode ******. I guess I'm not allowed to add a link, so just add the w's to the front and see if this will work. diynetwork.com/videos/basket-weave-floor/58161.html[/url]

I have not seen this type of floor but it sounds interesting. To answer your question normally when you transition from tile to wood you would use caulk. There is caulk that matches the grout and actually comes in sanded for wide joints and un-sanded for narrower joints. The amount of movement you get in the wood will depend on the species of wood, how dry it was when laid, and the difference in humidity levels in your house. If you have a house where you keep the A/C on all summer and the windows closed you will have less wood movement between the winter and summer months than if you have the windows open all the time. Engineered flooring will move less than solid wood as was stated by A. Spruce. Hope this helps you out.

Mike

We built our home in 2002 and installed a combination of ipe wood and slate tile floor. The ipe measures 4 1/2 inches by 3/4 inches and the slate is 12 inches square.
    The installation was done over a concrete slab, and we ran the infloor radiant heat for several days before performing a moisture test to assure that the moisture was at a low level.
    We used a chalk line to mark the layout for the wood and went over that with a marking pen so as not to lose our lines. Basically, the wood is framing a field of four 12 inch squares of slate tile, and the pattern repeats throughout.
    We attached the wood to the floor using a urethane adhesive. Then we applied oil and after several days, a polyurethane finish.
    Using thinset, we installed the slate tile. We used grout between all of the joints, masking the wood before. The masking tape was removed and after several days, a sealer was applied to the grout and the tile.
    It has been nine years since we installed this floor and it has worn extremely well. We have seen no indication of movement in the wood, there has been virtually no cracking in the grout. The floor is one of the most beautiful features of our home and we have received numerous compliments over the years. My favorite was made by a neighbor's son. He was six years old at the time and he told us he wanted a floor just like ours when he grew up.

Quote Originally Posted by claireweber View Post
    We built our home in 2002 and installed a combination of ipe wood and slate tile floor. The ipe measures 4 1/2 inches by 3/4 inches and the slate is 12 inches square.
    The installation was done over a concrete slab, and we ran the infloor radiant heat for several days before performing a moisture test to assure that the moisture was at a low level.
    We used a chalk line to mark the layout for the wood and went over that with a marking pen so as not to lose our lines. Basically, the wood is framing a field of four 12 inch squares of slate tile, and the pattern repeats throughout.
    We attached the wood to the floor using a urethane adhesive. Then we applied oil and after several days, a polyurethane finish.
    Using thinset, we installed the slate tile. We used grout between all of the joints, masking the wood before. The masking tape was removed and after several days, a sealer was applied to the grout and the tile.
    It has been nine years since we installed this floor and it has worn extremely well. We have seen no indication of movement in the wood, there has been virtually no cracking in the grout. The floor is one of the most beautiful features of our home and we have received numerous compliments over the years. My favorite was made by a neighbor's son. He was six years old at the time and he told us he wanted a floor just like ours when he grew up.
    I'd like to see a picture of your floor, try to send one. Thanks.

wildturkeynm.smugmug.com/Home/Rental/19673644_wvSCDh#1543243591_3gkrGfg[/url]

Claireweber,

It looks very attractive.