+ Reply to Thread

Question Life after Frozen Pipes

OK, so what I lack in experience and knowledge, I make up for in logic and persistence. Ice Storm 2008, left me with frozen pipes and upon thawing, an elbow had burst. It's located a short distance from the pressure tank for a drilled well. I learned how to sweat copper and the repair went relatively smooth. The water was running to all faucets, but blowing quite a bit of air from the lines as well. I thought that would be normal til system equalized. Segway to the next day after repair, the water supply to the toilet tank is not flowing and the system continues to blow huge bursts of air intermittently from every faucet......Have I overlooked another split pipe? Could the culprit be the toilet line? Please help. I truly appreciate any advise offered. Hiring a pro is not really an option. Thanks so much!
    Last edited by nhleighlah; 12-16-2008 at 10:36 PM.

Default Re: Life after Frozen Pipes

Are you perchance in the NE US?

House built on a slab at grade level or does it have a basement?

I'm getting the notion that it is built slab-on-grade and the pressure tank (& associated plumbing) is inside the house (rather than in a well-pit) and therefore subject to freeze if the power goes out for a while. Yes?

Is it a galvanized pressure tank (single compartment) or does the tank have a painted exterior (usually indicative of a bladder-type tank)?

Without more info yet, here's a SWAG........You have a bladder type tank and there is yet a burst/cracked pipe between the pressure tank and the well that you haven't seen/discovered. Everytime the well pump runs, this crack allows air to get sucked up along with the water and then injected into the "water-bag" inside your bladder-type tank....and that air is then injected into your house lines.

There are other possible scenarios that could cause what you're experiencing, but that is the likely general gist of the matter..... if you have a bladder-type tank.

The toilet tank refill problem is probably resulting from a piece of crud/gunk that broke loose inside a pipe during the freezing episode and that crud is now lodged in said valve......blocking off the rather small orifice thru which water must flow to refill the tank. Try turning off the shut-off valve to the toilet and removing the pipe/hose that connects to the bottom of the toilet tank. Now carefully and slowly open the valve again ....with a small pan or bucket handy to catch any water. If the water flows freely, your fill valve has a clog. You might be able to disassemble it and clean it up.....or you might find it a better expenditure of time and effort to just replace it with a new one. Depends.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 12-16-2008 at 11:25 PM.

Default Re: Life after Frozen Pipes

I agree with ****hiller. If the leak is between the bladder tank and the check valve you will see the pump pump up pressure and then the pressure will slowly go down with no water being consumed. If the leak is between the check valve and the pump the pressure will hold but the line between the pump and check valve will empty and fill with air. Then when the pump kicks on it will refill the line with water and push all the air above the leak into the house system.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb