+ Reply to Thread

Default Wood Matching Cabinets and floor

I have Ikea Beech Cabinets. I need to pull the trigger on new flooring.
    I've looked at samples and what I've figured out is I don't know what I'm doing. I've found that pictures and samples can be misleading and I don't know what to do...

As I said I have Ikea Beech Cabinets

I think I've narrowed it down to the following 3 hardwood floors.
    1) Hickory --> Home Depot Model # DH06100106

2) Strand Bamboo (waffling a little on color)--> Lumber liquidators SKU: PRBAMSTC

3) Bolivian Rosewood --> Lumber liquidators SKU: PRBR2SV
    a) little worried I'm killing the rain-forests with this one.

All are about the same price. I think Hickory is in the lead Bamboo in second. I'd probably go straight for the rosewood if I could trust it was sustainably harvested...

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Wood Matching Cabinets and floor

I like the looks of the rosewood the best.

Unfortunately, there will be no way to find out if the material was sustainably harvested or not. While there are laws against illegal cutting, there is no tracking or regulations concerning where the trees came from when they reach the mill.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Just my 2 cents - it's a matter of personal taste of course - but have you considered something different - like dark, even black uniform surface, no grain, or light - again solid color, no grain... This would realy make your IKEA cabinets stend out and be a masterpiece and look impressive and even...expensive.

Do you relly want all to be matchy-matchy? 2nd picture is an example - all one colour and texture - boring. Metal legs give you some break of course but not enough - still too much wood, same texture...

Hope this helps.

Housedoc,

I agree. My original thought was to go with the following bamboo but when I show people the sample I get the "are you insane? you want black flooring!" response. If I planned on living here as long as the former owners (58yrs) but I need to keep resale in mind. I'm a bachelor now but I'd like to have a family some day and I'm not sure how my little house will fit into that plan.

Of course I could always just say anything is an improvement over the 80's orange vinyl I just tore out.

you don't want to be matchy matchy as said above. You want a contrast. Dark flooring can be beautiful, but will show dust, pet hair, etc. more than a lighter floor.

Quote Originally Posted by peterbouchard View Post
    Dark flooring can be beautiful, but will show dust, pet hair, etc. more than a lighter floor.
    So... Pet Hair.... This may be a problem?

I love this last look... And I don't see a big problem. Yes you will need to keep it clean... but this is a good thing is it not?
    I dont see the point in surrounding ourselves with mediocre things (just to hide the mess?)... We pay for them with our hard work.
    Besides this adorable creature has mostly black hair Won't be so visible.
    If it's still a problem - lighter coulors (but solid, no grain) can be the option. How about dark grey or moss?

Hi we are building a new house. We are putting hardwood in our first floor and i have choosen Decora galleria brandywine cabinets.

I prefer the bamboo. Rosewood just doesn't seem to match very well, though perhaps the color on the picture is misleading. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    So... Pet Hair.... This may be a problem?
    If you have a multicolored pet or multiple pets who are not the same color, pet hair will be a problem no matter what floor you get. Put another way, pet hair is going to show up unless you have only one pet, that pet is a single solid color, and you choose flooring the same color as your pet. And then you must never get another pet of a different color.

And then that raises different issues. Say you get a floor the same color as your cat. You would then have a "stealth cat" creeping around invisibly. You would constantly trip over your invisible cat. Not a good situation.