+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Wiring diagram review

I'm pretty comfortable with basic home wiring, but I'm embarking on a project that is more complex (or at least larger) than I've done before. I'm comfortable with each individual element, but I'd really like some knowledgeable opinions of the plan as a whole. Here is it -

A lot of switches and a lot of lights, I know, but it's a very large room with several defined areas. For the electrics I've defined Front, Center and Back, and given each section a 4"x4" box. I'm not doing anything in the lighting boxes themselves because it's mostly recessed lighting. By moving it all to boxes I have the complicated stuff easily accessible from my workshop which is unfinished.

OK, be brutal - have I cracked it, or am I just plain cracked?

Default Re: Wiring diagram review

D'Oh! Of course.

Thanks for the review, Deadshort.

So I know how comfortable to feel, are you an electrician, or a DIYer (with more experience than me, obviously)?

Can't argue with 30 years of experience! Excellent.

It's a 20A circuit, and although there are a lot of lights 90% are CFLs. I figured the numbers with both 14W CFLs and 60W incandescent (never know what someone will do in the future, I guess). Even with all incandescent the total power is < 1,500 Watts. As I understand it the max for a 20A circuit is 1,920W (80% * 20A * 120V). There is nothing else on the circuit.

Out of interest, what is the code violation? Is it the external light on the same circuit as internals? I was wondering about that.

deadshort is spot on. The violation he mentions is because the re-designated white from 3-way one would be considered a return and code says you can't use a re-designated white as a return. You should use the re-designated white as the supply for 3-way one and the black as a traveler wire nutted to the to the re-designated white on 3-way two. In this case it makes very little sense but that's code.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Many thanks Deadshort, JLMCDANIEL. That leaves me with -

One concern I have. You said this is going to be 20 amp circuits, which means 12 ga wire and you will need to use 2" deep (not 1" deep) 4X4 boxes so you don't exceed fill count.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb