+ Reply to Thread

Default cutting floor joist & boxing in?

I'm finishing a kitchen remodel and have to install a downdraft vent. The best place to install the vent to the outside is through the basement. Naturally the best place to cut the 6-inch hole through the floor lands directly on top of a floor joist 2x10. The house is 15 years old. The floor joists are 16 inch on center. There is a steel beam running perpendicular to the floor joist & through the center of the house (2-floor cape cod).

Is it structurally sound to cut the floor joist and box around it to the joists on either side of the cut joist? I'm thinking something like the picture in the link below (scroll down to bottom of page for last drawing).

http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/18251/

If this is OK is there a better way to do it?

thanks..

Default Re: cutting floor joist & boxing in?

Is it possible to use a couple of 4" 45s to offset the vent pipe? It would certainly be cheaper and a lot less work.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

JL,

Yes, that's the fall-back, but this option would take up half of the cabinet the unit is in(6 inch is required). If I could go straight down(through the joist) then just the fan-knockout box footprint is taken up & I have room for drawers in the base cabinet. nothing's easy...is the cut joist & boxing it in an acceptable practice(from a structural standpoint)?

Yes it is, but as you can see from the link you posted, requires doubling the joists on either side.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb