+ Reply to Thread

Question Standard height for kitchen chandelier

I have an existing kitchen chandelier that seems low. Is there a standard or convential height above the floor that electricians use when hanging chandeliers?

Default Re: Standard height for kitchen chandelier

As a tall guy I think fixtures should be at least 6'-8" above the floor. The same as most doors.
    Large chandeliers over a table in an 8' high room are often lower. It often has to do with the proportions of the room and fixture.
    I would say if you think it's low, raise it up.

30-34" above the table top with the chandelier having at least 6" smaller radius than table for clearance. add 2-4" to the height from floor for each foot of ceiling height that exceeds 8'. all is relative to the type and style of the chandelier. if you can see through it and it is relatively open it can hang lower, if it has a bowl bottom and it obstructs view it is usually hung higher above the table.

since there is no uniform standard to height to table tops that's a general guideline. proportions of the room, open space, size of the fixture, size of the dinning suite are things to be adjusted for. it is not uncommon to find the need to adjust the height up or down, that's just a starting point.

if there is no furniture beneath it then there are different guidelines for clearance/headroom for ceiling mounted fixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    simply put, try out different heights, see what looks good to you then make sure its not something youll bump your head on it when you would pass something across the table

no 8 paragraph response required
    Sometimes people make life way to difficult. I would do exactly what you posted.

what can i say, its not a technical thing with a specifiic measurement it comes down to common sense.

first thing that comes to mind, i dont want to bump my head on the damn thing

personally i hate the things, only encounter em when some ho's dont know what they want so they have to hire a designer to decorate the house, every job ive been on with a designer caused nothing but problems for everyone on the job
    Your commentary on this string is entirely uncalled for and out of line!. REPORTED.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    Your commentary on this string is entirely uncalled for and out of line!. REPORTED.
    Blue, you seriously need to take a break from this site! Again your assumptions are a knee jerk reaction and take the context of the message away from it's intention. While the use of the word "ho's" could be taken the wrong way, those of us that know better, let alone the fact that you're on a construction oriented site where such a term would be used, understand that what jkirk meant was HO or H.O. or Home Owner, not the the reason for which you've reported an innocent post.

Speaking of reporting posts ...
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Blue you are absolutely amazing. You report the use of an acronym as uncalled for after you lambaste me for politely asking you to clarify your use of an acronym. Your twisted mind sees only what you want to see. Your post has been reported.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 12-17-2008 at 08:52 AM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Blue you are absolutely amazing. Jack

That's not exactly the adjective I would personally choose.

that is totally funny.

just to make plain
    ho= homeowner
    gc= general contractor
    co= certificate of occupancy
    rfi= request for information

and there are many more if you need to know just ask

GL- general labour
    wc- water closet
    hw3- hank williams the third
    c02- carbon dioxide
    DDR= Down Da Road
    EQ= Early Quit
    HWH= Hot Water Heater Just love hearing that one.