+ Reply to Thread

Red face Securing a wooden platform walkway

I have a wooden walkway leading to the front entrance of my summer home in southern New Jersey. I having trouble securing it to the ground,as it comes up due to very common flooding in the area. I have used both wooden and metal stakes in the past. Thanks for any other suggestions.

Default Re: Securing a wooden platform walkway

Quote Originally Posted by fourthwarder View Post
    I have a wooden walkway leading to the front entrance of my summer home in southern New Jersey. I having trouble securing it to the ground,as it comes up due to very common flooding in the area. I have used both wooden and metal stakes in the past. Thanks for any other suggestions.
    have you considered constructing the main wooden walkway as a fixed pier on set posts or pilings above the high water mark and for the transition to the ground a ramp on seasonal floats (since regular flooding of the area is at issue - tidal?) as one would do for any tidal dock?you could land the ramp on a gravel base that you can maintain to prevent erosion.

if you have the entire "walk" on floats, you could use 2-1/2" pipe to secure it but you'd have to set the pipes. then use cable, brackets, chain from the side or holes in the deck to allow it to rise with the water on floats, and come back to ground when the water receeds.

floating docks floating ramps, rolling ramps, piers there are plenty of options depending on your site conditions.