+ Reply to Thread

Default planing painted boards

We salvaged painted redwood. Planing it rapidly dulls the planner's blades. Anny suggestions?

Default Re: planing painted boards

Either buy lots a planner blades or sand the boards first to remove the paint and dirt.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You could also use a paint stripper to remove the paint. Or, buy a surface sander.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Carbide planer blades are expensive, but if the redwood was free, you have some leeway.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Use stripper. DO NOT SAND THE PAINT -- don't even plane it unless you are positive that it's not lead paint. It's very dangerous to breath lead dust and you don't want it to settle on the ground and eventually enter the water table. Very hazardous stuff!!!

A machine that cuts away material to make a board thinner is a planer (with only one N). A book that you use to schedule your day is a planner (with two Ns). >:-(
    Last edited by Fencepost; 12-20-2010 at 03:55 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.