+ Reply to Thread

Default Sod over ground out tree stump?

I had a very large white poplar cut down and the stump ground out. The stump was ground about 4 inches below level and some of the roots are almost to the surface. The backyard that this tree is in is almost all bare soil and weeds. I have been spraying weedkiller and plan on tilling and grading to prepare for sod. Is the area where the roots and rest of the stump are located going to cause problems as they decompose? If so what can be done to fix or prevent these problems? Thanks, Chuck

Default Re: Sod over ground out tree stump?

It is a common misconception that spraying weed killer is beneficial when planting anew. In actuality, all you're doing is killing the green leafy things on the surface, you've done little to the root systems and nothing to all the seed that will be brought up to the surface when you rototill. On top of that, the weed killer will stay in the soil and stunt the growth of both sod and seed, seed being the more susceptible of the two. It is best to scarify the surface with the tiller then rake the weed and other debris out. After that, rototill to the desired depth, add a good layer of organic matter such as compost or manure and work that fully into the soil. From there it's a matter of grading and leveling the soil as desired. If you're installing or repairing the irrigation system, do it before grading and leveling.

Once the ground is prepped, use a lawn roller to compact it a bit and water the bare ground just enough to moisten the top few inches without making mud. Roll out your sod, roll again with the lawn roller and then water in with the irrigation system.

When using sod you can gently use the yard almost immediately, after a month or so you can just about do anything you want. If seeding, you'll have a long road ahead of diligent watering to keep everything moist and you won't be able to be on it for months.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Any thoughts on the tree stump?

Oops, sorry about that.

If you till the soil to about the depth of the stump grinding, then there won't be too much settling in that particular area. Any roots that are deeper than 6" to 8" shouldn't be much of a problem. Also, you'll want to remove the stump grindings from the hole. It will be ok to spread them out over the entire area, you just don't want a pile of shavings in one spot or you will have a problem with settling as well as nitrogen deficient soil because the grindings will use the nitrogen to decay.

I would work the soil around the hole, then spread the shavings out, then backfill the hole with plain dirt, then retill the whole area again. This should deal with it pretty well. Most of the settling will occur in the first week or two, so you can prep for your sod, wet the area down and leave it sit for a week, then regrade as necessary and lay the sod.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!