+ Reply to Thread

Default Help i found rot!

I'm in the process of replacing the deck boards and have found rot. The side joist of this second level, 30 year old deck is doubled with what looks like 1/2" plywood sandwiched in between. The plywood is seriously rotten. I have not yet found rot in the joists. What should I do? If I continue to lay the new decking, the rot will spread to the undersides of the new boards. But worse, won't this rotting plywood rot the joists? Is there a solution? Is joist rotting, when you have a rotten plywood 'starter' a quick or slow (10+ years) process? AUGH!

Default Re: Help i found rot!

what is the plywood doing, if its just there as a spacer you can probably use a chisel or recip saw to cut it out if its not doing anything structural, you can get some fence boards and stick them back in between the joists if need be. . mind you a 30 year old deck should just be comletely replaced anyway. an
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I don't know why the plywood is there. I will continue to investigate to see how far the rot extends, and will consider removing all of the rot and inserting a new spacer of some kind. In general, the deck seems to be in very good shape; I assume it is original to the house, but it may not be.

by the sounds of it its simply a spacer, it could be to provide a nailing surface for deck boards, without a picture its hard to say, just depends on how the old deckboards were put down. i put spacers in when im picture framing the deckboards. on the ends of the deck i usually have to add a couple extra joists or 2x4's so both the end picture frame board and the board butting into have something to be bearing on and nail to
    fire up the saw and make some dust