+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacing exterior stair treads

I have porch stairs that are 6 feet wide and 1.5 inches thick and 9-9.25 deep. The treads form a 90 degree joint with the risers, i.e., no overhang. It is as if the builder just used a 2 x 10 and slapped them down. It is oddly uncomfortable to go up and down these stairs. I'd like to replace the treads with something bullnosed and with an overhang. I am thinking of a 1.5 x 12" cut down in width to 10" leaving a 3/4 overhang of the risers.

My questions are these:

1) What wood to use (western New York - think winter white)

2) Are there ready made treads available in this size and length?

3) Or would I be better off getting 2x12's and ripping them down to 10" and then routing a bull nose myself?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Replacing exterior stair treads

Hi,
    fifteen years ago I went to the trouble of milling pressure treated 2x12's into 1" thick stair treads, with a nice nosed (rounded) edge just like interior treads, only in PT. The material never actually rotted, but the 1-piece design cupped (even though I cut kerfs (grooves) in the underside to reduce cupping), puddled water and weathered to a very splintery and unsightly condition. I changed over to two-piece treads this year on my steps. There isnt any way for water to puddle because it can drain through the space between.
    It is ordinary 5/4" decking that I recommend to you for treads. 2-piece them and you won't be sorry. If you need less width, you can rip one or both down to achieve the width you are after. Leave a 3/4" overhang beyond the riser.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

what sombrel mentioned will definitely work, the only thing i would add to that is to get some end cut treatment and touch up the ripped and routed edges
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Thanks for all your help. I will post pix when I get it finished.