+ Reply to Thread

Cool How to Reattach End of Mahogony Deck Boards

The ends of some or our mahogony deck boards have turned up causing a tripping hazard. The ends of each board has two very small headed screws and in each case where the board is turning up, one of the screws has been pulled through. The wood is so hard I don't know how to "pull" the ends back down flat. How can I push the end down to reattach it? What type screw do I use to avoid splitting the end of the board? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Re: How to Reattach End of Mahogony Deck Boards

Your screws are probably stainless "trim head" square drive screws that use an S1 or S2 driver bit. Ideally you would withdraw the screw, bore a 3/8" countersink hole 3/8" deep, and use a #9 SS wood screw at least 2" long to reattach the board and fill the hole with a mahogany plug. The screw's square recess can be cleaned out with a sharp pointy tool and a little compressed air, so you can get the bit to grip. Don't strip the head.
    If you fail to remove the existing screw, you will have to make a new screw hole adjacent to it.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thank you for the information. Sounds like all I need to know to go for it.

I do have one more question: would it help prevent splitting if the ends of the boards are wet - or at least as wet as I can get them? Thanks, again.

I wouldn't intentionally wet the wood. Mahogany is one of the most dimensionally-stable woods. I'd carefully select the pilot drill for the screw's size. Making the hole nearly as large as the threads is a good call. Don't over-tighten the screw so it pulls itself deeper into the wood is another point.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.