+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leak testing

Default Leak testing

I'm preparing to replace a shower pan and then install tile in my shower stall. The installation will be in a depressed pit in a concrete slab. I'll probably use a molded, one piece pan. Question: How can I test the connection to the PVC drain pipe, coming from the pit, prior to installing the pan and after installing the pan before I tile the walls? I'm doing this project because there was a leak at the old connection. Lots of water, damaged floors and mold.

Thanks,

Don

Default Re: Leak testing

Use an inflatable test ball (probably for 2" pipe).

Plumbing supply houses sell them. The ball is at the end of an air line that's about 18" long, so you can shove the ball down inside the line to be tested and then pump up the ball to expand inside the pipe as a plug.

You then fill the line with water and leave it for a day or so to see if the level drops.

You can use the same method to test the assemble after the one-piece base has been installed.

Default Re: Leak testing

Thanks for the info. I should have thought of that. It's similar to an idea which I submitted to BP to plug the leaking oil pipe in the Gulf of Mexico!

Don