+ Reply to Thread

Smile restoring the shine of a bathroom sink

Has anyone restored the shine of a porcelain bathroom sink? My sink is still in good shape but just needs the shine returned.

Default Re: restoring the shine of a bathroom sink

Agree with jkirk, you might try using auto wax to give a shine and add a little protection. You'll probably have to reapply every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by shirley-il View Post
    Has anyone restored the shine of a porcelain bathroom sink? My sink is still in good shape but just needs the shine returned.
    Although I have never used this product and this is not an endorsement, I have seen this advertised http://www.bufatub.com/

If you try it and it works be sure to get back with us and let us know.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I will save you the time and effort and money.
    This product isn't worth two cents...it will actually make
    the finish worse. Bad customer service, poor communication
    and a product that does not work at all.

Is the sink enameled steel, cast iron, or vitreous china? How to tell: a magnet won't stick to china. Cast iron will have a solid feel to it; steel will sound tinny.

Many times the finish is fine; there's just a hard water buildup on top of it.

If it's cast iron or china, you might try a pumice bar. Ask at your local hardware store; it would be in the cleaning supplies. The pumice bar works great on the hard water stains in toilets; I imagine it would work on china sinks, too. Enameled steel has a somewhat softer finish that could be scratched by the pumice.

I had a cast iron kitchen sink I was able to restore using very fine wet-or-dry sandpaper and lots of elbow grease.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I hope I won't have this trouble with my new Blanko sinks, I like them a lot and I wouldn't want to change them. Also there a lot of products that can restore the shine of your sink, I know we have in our local stores, powder products work great.

I used some engine degreaser today on a very old wall mount porcalin sink and much to my suprise it worked awsome. It removed all of the soap scum in a matter of seconds and put on a shine maybe it wasnt that bad to begin with

You might also try auto rubbing compound.
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

Unless your sink is expensive i recommend you getting a new one... I mean you're using a sink for 10-15 years then all of a sudden you tend to say: hey let me give it some "gloss"... that things dead 3 times over. Be a bit decent and buy yourself a new one.
    Why can women buy women's jackets from month to month ?

With old sinks you would want to use cleaners such as Zud or barkeepers friend.Nothing that uses bleach.

Make a paste from the cleanser and use the paste to clean the sink first like the previous poster said it may just be hard water stains or build up.

The nickle test = using a nickle run a line on the sink after cleaning if it leaves a line like a pencil then the glazing is compromised.

You could try polishing it by using 4000 grit wet and dry sandpaper. Keeping in mind that porcelain is basically like melted glass.