+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: outlets and junction box

Quote Originally Posted by scottgolf View Post
    I am wiring a new interior wall, how many outlets am I allowed off a junction box?
    Since you're in Wisconsin, you have no limits to the number of outlets you can have off a general use branch circuit if it is a residential application as long as you compensate for any voltage drop regarding the overall distance of the circuit. Wisconsin uses NFPA 70 the National Electrical Code.

If you have additional questions and would prefer to not use the public nature of posting on an open string scottgolf, you are welcome to Private message myself or any member on the forum who makes that feature available to forum members. Your best first resource for up-to-date information and any local ammendments or restrictions is your local building officials or in code-speak "authority having jurisdiction". They should be able to give you a comprehensive list of adopted uniform national codes and a list of any ammendments. Oftentimes your local public library will have these code resource materials in their reference section.

As I understand the Canadian codes they may have limitations (as do we in the States in commercial but we don't in residential); however Candian Code/Rules are not applicable in the State of Wisconsin.
    SPAM: never liked it from a can, can't stand it on a board forum. This board needs MODERATORS!

Leslie again .

Yup.

I knew that the first time this particular alter posted....way back when. Bet you did too.

She doesn't fool anyone, but she keeps trying nonetheless. Must not have anything productive to do with her time. Kinda sad, really.

And here we go...yet again.

Kinda like playing......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whack-a-mole

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Extension cords should only be considered as temporary use .... anything outside of that is irresponsible to suggest otherwise.
    I agree, but lets face it are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    I tend to agree with what you are posting. But it has been my experience when homeowners run short of outlets they use extension cords. Like those crappy 18 gauge brown or white useless items. Now that is what I want heating up my carpets.
    Gives a new meaning to in floor heating.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    canuk, do they use the NEC in Canada, too, or does Canada have its own code? I know that the electrical system is nearly identical to that in the US.
    No.
    The National Electrical Code ( NEC ) is for the US only.

We have the Canadian Electrical Code which is very similar though there are differences ..... like the number of devices allowed on a general 15 amp circuit is limited to 12 ( as previously mentioned ).
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    No, canuk, not as I interpret the code requirements. There is a 2 foot range along your walls that is between 6 and 7 feet from the nearest outlet (no, my math isn't funny), which is not permissible. Now, if on the long wall the outlet was only 10 feet from the corner, that WOULD be permissible. Four feet from the corner along the long wall is 6 feet from the outlet on the short wall.

Another poster lamented that the inspector made him place a floor outlet between two sliding glass doors. This is because the fixed panels of the doors are considered usable wall space and hence must have an outlet within reach. You are not permitted to cross a doorway or opening to reach an outlet in order to meet the coed requirements. In my opinion, his inspector had a correct interpretation of the code. Now if that poster had arranged the doors so the sliding panels were adjacent, no floor outlet would have been necessary.

canuk, do they use the NEC in Canada, too, or does Canada have its own code? I know that the electrical system is nearly identical to that in the US.
    Will this be allowed ?

- Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Will this be allowed ?
    Let's hope not.