+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: outlets and junction box

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    i think we found our new lionhearted....

if i remember correctly, a max of 12 ' apart for outlets within dwelling spaces such as living rooms and bedrooms,

for kitchens, there must be a recepticle every 4ft of counter space. and they must be a gfci if within 3' of a water source

the simples way to ask the original question is to say how many outlets + lights can be on one circuit without overloading

by having outlets closer together, obviously you will create more outlets which in turn means more circuits at the panel. by not knowing how many outlets you can have on a circuit and not knowing how to check how many are on it could create a risk of fire or overloading a panel. Which has happened, i know this not by google but from electricians i know who have seen it first hand and had to rewire entire houses after it has happened

when it comes to do it yourself projects there are limits to which diy'ers should go, when personal saftey and put the building at risk of fire, flooding, severe structural damage consult or hire a professional. looking things up ****** can help but there is no way of knowing the persons crudentials are true. theres nothing more assuring than having a certified Professional in your home, directly looking at what you want done.
    More horse's ptooties heard from.

dwellings residential we are not limited to the number of recepticals on a circuit. all of our kitchen countertop receptacles (small appliance rules) have to be gfci protected.

The original poster is from Wisconsin not Canada.

99 percent of new users don't return to the forum. 95 percent of new users who do post one time or a series of posts at their first visit, then never log in again.

Don't believe any of your inspector stories. Code inspectors have to cite code references in their citations. unless you can prove there was some wacky local ammendment don't believe your stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    More horse's ptooties heard from.
    Don't believe any of your inspector stories. Code inspectors have to cite code references in their citations. unless you can prove there was some wacky local ammendment don't believe your stories.

A very telling statement, it's quite obvious you have never dealt with building inspectors on a professional level.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

That's you MSU again.

That's you MSU again.
    No, just an observation.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    A very telling statement, it's quite obvious you have never dealt with building inspectors on a professional level.
    Jack
    No kidding.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Knowledge without experience is just information.... Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Well, I can certainly understand why the OP hasn't returned. He asked a question about outlets, a commonly used term to refer to the receptacle, cover plate, mounting box, mounting hard ware, and associated wiring. It may not be a scientific, engineering, code, or nit picking individual part name but is prevalent in everyday language used by home owners and trades people alike just like saying they want a switch installed and meaning the switch, the box wiring etc.

The NEC requirement is based on the assumption that electrical appliances will have standard 6 foot cords and no mater where you place it on the wall the cord should reach an outlet without and extension cord. That allows receptacles to be 12' apart. However, as I said before it doesn't matter what the NEC says, what matters is the interpretation and requirements of the locale jurisdictions and their inspectors. Most I have dealt with require the outlets to be no more than 6' apart and one even required them every 4'.
    Jack
    Once again we agree.
    I also never read posts from Google pro's.

im currently renovating the house i just purchased, it was pretty hideous inside when the place closed

1960's shag carpet
    1970's panelling
    1980's wallpaper
    1970's light fixtures
    2 flat roofs that have 3 layers of shingles

anyhow, the house is owned by my brother and myself, both of us have basement apartments currently which were living in while doing the reno, our folks live quite close to the place and are helping out quite a bit,

i removed all the carpet, wallpaper, tore out 3 walls, tore out both bedroom closets, all the panelling, 70% of the trim, the rear mudroom has a leaking roof and major water damage so i tore that right out. After 3 days of demo, the 6x8 shed was full the 10 x 14 deck was completely covered with contractor garbage bags and a section of the yard was filling up with carpet.

i work in the renovation sector and am a certified carpenter so i know the costs of debris disposal, locally it costs $115/ ton for a mixed load, before tax!!. i didnt budget for paying to dispose of it. so its going to the curb.

the city regulates the amount of garbage allowed at the curb so 7 bags were at the curb of the house, 6 were scattered up the street, carpet was dragged to the curb of our apartments, and our father has been hawling loads of garbage in his car to various friends houses whos garbage pick up days are different. in a 3 day period of garbage removal were down more than 1/2 of our garbage.

the only other downside is the electricians and plumbers are taking the copper they remove with them.. it would be nice to get money back for amount copper is going for nowadays
    blue ridge, no matter where someone is from it does not change how many outlets a circuit can handle

you obviously dont have a clue what your talking about. from your response. any given circuit can handle any amount of items plugged in. have you ever tried running 2 circular saws and a 500 watt halogen lamp off a 15 amp breaker. tell me what happens, i highly doubt you can say. theres a reason theres a circuit dedicated just to a kitchen not including the stove or fridge, because they draw too much power.

go back to sleep blueridge
    You jump in with "if I remember correctly" after two of us already stated what the code was and I even QUOTED IT. You didn't "remember" anything about the National Electrical Code canadian.

YOU obviously have no idea what you are talking about! Overloading a circuit has nothing to do anything hinted at by the OPs question, and has nothing to do with the number of receptacles or other outlets allowed on a general branch circuit for a dwelling. Your trying to stretch into the small appliance circuit territory, dedicated circuits and lighting circuits in a Kitchen in the US in an area governed by adoption of the NEC is equally lame, ignorant and flawed. Circuit overload protection has nothing to do with the number or frequency of the placement of outlets and nothing to do with the fill capacity allowed for junction boxes.

Stick to fly dumping and sharing your parent's basement "apartment" with your brother.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 12-19-2008 at 06:15 PM.

Boring and you still don't have a clue Jkirk.

The OP won't be back.

Sadly you will continue to stalk, harass, and spout excrement. Do us all a favor: close the door first, aim, flush, and be sure you wash your hands before you rejoin the room. Company doesn't need to see it, despite what Mommy told you when you were little, it isn't a work of art, music to our ears, nor worthy of a prize, and we're all tired of smelling it.

Boring and you still don't have a clue Jkirk.

The OP won't be back.

Sadly you will continue to stalk, harass, and spout excrement. Do us all a favor: close the door first, aim, flush, and be sure you wash your hands before you rejoin the room. Company doesn't need to see it, despite what Mommy told you when you were little, it isn't a work of art, music to our ears, nor worthy of a prize, and we're all tired of smelling it.
    Now there's one worthy of reporting .