+ Reply to Thread

Default portable compressed air canister

In a recent episode of Ask TOH, Tom Silva used a portable compressed air canister. He said it holds enough air for about 1,700 nails before it needs to be recharged (from a regular compressor, I imagine). No power cord, no heavy compressor to carry around -- sounds great.

Does anybody know where I can acquire one? None of the home improvement stores or hardware stores I know of appears to carry one.

Thanks.

Default Re: portable compressed air canister

Try an auto parts shop.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I can't imagine a standard, compressor filled, portable air tank would hold enough air to operate a framing nailer more than 10 to 20 shots without recharging. A finish or brad nailer could maybe get upwards of 60 or 70 shots before a recharge. What Tom likely had was a scuba tank which must be professionally filled.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Guys,

Tom is known for showing tools that nobody can get. I'm still looking for the automatic motorized coping cutter I saw him use on one episode. hahaha

Pete

Check out the Paslode fuel-powered nailers. They don't use an air supply -- they have a rechargeable battery and a fuel cell. For "quickie" jobs, they're great. You don't need to set up an air compressor or string out cords & hoses.

I'm sure they're a lot more expensive to buy and operate, and they probably don't handle the full assortment of fasteners that are out there. I used one 10 years ago when I was an apprentice plumber nailing up backing. Quite a bit more convenient than air tools and quicker than hand-nailing.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I have one of the portable compressed air canisters that I got from Lowes. I paid about $70 dollars for the kit that came with the first bottle of air, regulator, and hose kit. The regulator hangs from you belt loop. It is good for brad and finish nailers but not a framing nailer. You can have the canisters refilled or just take them back to lowes and they will give you credit for the empty container and then you can purchase a new one that is filled. I love mine. It is great if you have only a few nails to shoot. I would recommend purchasing one to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Check out the Paslode fuel-powered nailers. They don't use an air supply -- they have a rechargeable battery and a fuel cell. For "quickie" jobs, they're great. You don't need to set up an air compressor or string out cords & hoses.

I'm sure they're a lot more expensive to buy and operate, and they probably don't handle the full assortment of fasteners that are out there. I used one 10 years ago when I was an apprentice plumber nailing up backing. Quite a bit more convenient than air tools and quicker than hand-nailing.
    Those Pasloads are awe some and plenty powerful, had an old pickup with a steel dash and it had no problem going all the way in

The portable compressed air bottle shown on the show appears to be a pice of mining equipment, repourposed for use outside the mine.

http://www.strataworldwide.com/usa/s...ta-t-force.htm

It can be worn on the belt as well as on the floor as shown on the show.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air Tank for nailer.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	3617