+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6

    Question floating floor lifting? help!

    we had a floating floor placed on a concrete slab through out all of our house except the kitchen and the bathroom, i noticed through out the hallway they didnt stagger the laminate they are approx 18 inches in length i dont know if that matters or not but by the front door they sealed it with a brown colored filler kind of rubbery filling anyways the floor is starting to lift literally a good inch or two already, it seems the more we step on it the more it lifts. We are not sure what to do we did take out the brown filler because we thought it may need to expand and contract but seems that has made it worse. does anybody know wh
    at may be the problem and what we need to do next to resolve this lifting of the floating floor?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,480

    Default Re: floating floor lifting? help!

    My suspicion is moisture has gotten to the underside. Is the flooring noticeable thicker where it's curled up?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: floating floor lifting? help!

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    My suspicion is moisture has gotten to the underside. Is the flooring noticeable thicker where it's curled up?
    no it does not appear to be thicker in that area we put a moisture barrier plastic n an underlayment pad underneath the laminate although that is a thought about the moisture? thank you

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,480

    Default Re: floating floor lifting? help!

    You mentioning the problem at the front door, it's possible that moisture was brought through the door on shoes, or a poorly sealed door/threshold could allow some minor seepage of exterior moisture and was able to get past the sealant used along the edge of the flooring.

    The cure may be nothing short of replacing the damaged area. The prevention is another matter and depends on what caused the problem to begin with.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: floating floor lifting? help!

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    You mentioning the problem at the front door, it's possible that moisture was brought through the door on shoes, or a poorly sealed door/threshold could allow some minor seepage of exterior moisture and was able to get past the sealant used along the edge of the flooring.

    The cure may be nothing short of replacing the damaged area. The prevention is another matter and depends on what caused the problem to begin with.
    o my that could be because we do leave our shoes at the front door we may have to put linoleum there in front of the door instead of laminate do u think it could also be because the floor may not be leveled underneath?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: floating floor lifting? help!

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    You mentioning the problem at the front door, it's possible that moisture was brought through the door on shoes, or a poorly sealed door/threshold could allow some minor seepage of exterior moisture and was able to get past the sealant used along the edge of the flooring.

    The cure may be nothing short of replacing the damaged area. The prevention is another matter and depends on what caused the problem to begin with.
    o my that could be because we do leave our shoes at the front door we may have to put linoleum there in front of the door instead of laminate do u think it could also be because the floor may not be leveled underneath?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: floating floor lifting? help!

    Quote Originally Posted by robert houle View Post
    o my that could be because we do leave our shoes at the front door we may have to put linoleum there in front of the door instead of laminate do u think it could also be because the floor may not be leveled underneath?
    o and now that im thinking about replacing the flooring by the door to replace it with laminate again do you know how difficult that would be and how i would even start taking out the buckled up laminate first?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,480

    Default Re: floating floor lifting? help!

    Quote Originally Posted by robert houle View Post
    o my that could be because we do leave our shoes at the front door we may have to put linoleum there in front of the door instead of laminate do u think it could also be because the floor may not be leveled underneath?
    You should be fine with laminate, as long as it's sealed around the perimeter. Caulk along the baseboard and door threshold and the use of an entry mat/carpet on which to enter the house and store shoe on would do wonders, and should answer water issues from the top, but not possible water sources from underneath. Is your front door exposed to direct water contact, through rain or sprinklers systems? If so, then you're probably getting seepage under the door bottom or the threshold that will need to be sealed off. If it's rain, you'll have a hard time redirecting it unless you build an overhang above the door. If it's sprinklers, that isn't such a hard thing to deal with.

    Another source of moisture could be from water lines in nearby walls or a leaking toilet in an adjoining bathroom.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: floating floor lifting? help!

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    You should be fine with laminate, as long as it's sealed around the perimeter. Caulk along the baseboard and door threshold and the use of an entry mat/carpet on which to enter the house and store shoe on would do wonders, and should answer water issues from the top, but not possible water sources from underneath. Is your front door exposed to direct water contact, through rain or sprinklers systems? If so, then you're probably getting seepage under the door bottom or the threshold that will need to be sealed off. If it's rain, you'll have a hard time redirecting it unless you build an overhang above the door. If it's sprinklers, that isn't such a hard thing to deal with.

    Another source of moisture could be from water lines in nearby walls or a leaking toilet in an adjoining bathroom.
    why thank you very much u know i think you are right!
    there is alot of rain drainage by my front door it seems to be very wet there when it rains. i wonder how i will get the laminate back in once i get it out i think it needs to be cut 1/4 of an inch or so it is extremely tight now. the floor was laid in feb of this year and it seems as there is not enough room to expand.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,480

    Default Re: floating floor lifting? help!

    If you've got water problems that close to the house, it's pretty much a guarantee that your slab is wicking that moisture inside. Since the plastic vapor barrier can't encase the floor through a doorway like it does along walls, this would be my guess as to why you're seeing the problem mainly at the front door. When the floor was installed, it may have had the proper gap, though with the moisture it has expanded to the point the gap is closed. Direct moisture will cause far more severe expansion than fluctuations in temperature or humidity.

    If you've actually got Pergo, then you should be able to remove the base boards in the area affected, lift the edge and get the pieces to decouple. Remove the affected area and replace with new material, reinstall the baseboards. This isn't a horrendously big deal if you're somewhat handy, if you're not, then I suggest calling in a pro to do the repair.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •