+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mitre angles

Default Mitre angles

I am a disabled vet and doing a lot of things isn't easy for me, especially when it comes to the technical aspect of things.

Around my garage door (see photo) I want to put a trim around the opening. I have tried to figure out the correct angle, but for the life of me I just can't. When I tried to cut the correct angle, it looks as if one side is larger than the other.

Is there a simple method that I can use? I suppose I will need a mitre angle finder??

Any insight to this problem would be most appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garage Door 003.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	3612  

Default Re: Mitre angles

Pauley, Here's an easy way. Tack a longer than needed horizontal piece across the top of the opening, then longer than needed vertical pieces on each side. Now take a longer than needed piece for the sloped edges, align with the slope and mark both edges of all the pieces where they over lap. Make your miter cuts from mark to mark. No angle gauge needed.
    Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Miter.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	3613  
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Jack's method would be the easiest. Remember, you're only tacking these pieces to hold them long enough to mark, you'll need to get them back off to cut them.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks guys. I am going to give that a try....

Sorry it took so long to reply, but I did want to say thank you! That worked perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Pauley, Here's an easy way. Tack a longer than needed horizontal piece across the top of the opening, then longer than needed vertical pieces on each side. Now take a longer than needed piece for the sloped edges, align with the slope and mark both edges of all the pieces where they over lap. Make your miter cuts from mark to mark. No angle gauge needed.
    Jack