+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Iced up brand new windows

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    It looks as though the window pictured is an awning or hopper type of opening window?
    Its a casement window, see crank, and Rehabber Wannabe said so, fyi. Canuks points still valid about the weather stripping and if the operable sash isn't lined up square to the window opening and if it is not hanging plumb sometimes the hinge mechanism (openers) need adjustment and the screws that secure them to the sash and frame can losen over time. I used to have one window in particular that the top mechanisim was always losening so the lower one would bear all the weight, bend and the window not square or tight because the sash receiver was stripped. Finally got that set and no more problems, except had to replace the weather stripping because it was all deformed from the sash not closing right previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehabber Wannabe View Post
    .I've posted a picture of the ice build up on occurring on all the many casement windows throughout my home (worse on 2nd floor)...

Appreciate any additional advise
    Tackling this problem in the extreme temps might not be practical, definately a to do project when the weather breaks. In the mean time you might try drying the window area on a warmer sunny day and temporarily install some of those interior storm window kits with the double sided tape on the outside edge of the window trim moulding (near the wall edge) and shrinking the film with hair drier to hold you over until spring and keep the area free of warmer air moisture indoors/condensation to prevent rot and finish problems and fix it in the spring.

warmer air convection upstairs. warmer air holds more absolute moisture. also likely bathroom/showers upstairs. vent moist air outdoors during baths/showers and keep bathroom door closed run fan longer after finished.

recirculating range hoods also notorious (instead of exausting). clothes dryers not venting outdoors or having lint collections in the vent so can't properly vent notorious moisture loaders indoors.

can get a measuring device that indicates relative humidity can find combination display thermometers that also have RH. Might want to invest in a few, place in a few rooms..

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    Its a casement window, see crank, and Rehabber Wannabe said so, fyi. .
    Yes I see crank.

Rehabber Wannabe ....my apologies I missed they were casements.... regardless the other info still applies.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Why? Why does not toh deletle this bitch? Yup, sorry she is a bitch...............

I Have the same problem but we have humidifiers running given the arid winter North East climes and so expect it on particularly cold night.

One issue that I noticed was the frame of the windows that we have cracking above the factory sealed joins. Only occurred on two windows and I believe they were installed correctly but has anyone had any frame cracking issues with new double glazed windows? The cracking occurred at teh tail end of summer when I would expand woodwork to contract if anything.
    Thoughts?
    SR