+ Reply to Thread

Threaded View

Default Stripping the floor and ceiling of a 100-year-old porch

I've started to refinish my front porch and I'm looking for advice on stripping the layers of paint from the floor and ceiling.

I've tried a heat gun, which did nothing on the floor. It was slightly effective on the ceiling, but it's a pain trying to use a heat gun above your head and to get into the grooves. I've also tried Ready Strip from Back to Nature, which is supposed to remove up to 15 layers. It did nothing on the floor. It worked moderately well on test area of the ceiling, but it only took off about a layer or so. And it's a pain to try and get out of the grooves between the wood.

Any ideas? It's lead-based paint, so I don't want to sand.

Has anyone used SmartStrip? I've heard that you can use paper with it (similar its "sister" product Peel Away) which makes it easier to remove, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. If so, it seems like using the paper might make it a little easier to remove from the grooves, etc. I'm skeptical about these miracle products.

Between the floor and the ceiling, I have about 350-400 square feet to deal with. I don't want to spend all summer on this (nor do I want to break the bank).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	this old house.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	3609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	this old house (3).JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	3610