+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hardwood floor over concrete ( not basement)

Hi Everyone.
    I have read several of threads here on the sight regarding installing hardwood floors over concrete. Most say not to it and if you do, you need to seal the concrete first. All of these inquiries relate to installing in a basement. I would like to install part of my hardwood floor over concrete. However, the concrete is an old back porch slab that has been incorporated into the house and is now part of the dining room/ kitchen area. The part I need to lay the wood over is in the middle of the house ( nowhere near an outside wall) and has a zero percent chance of having moisture seep up.
    Here are my questions:
    Do I have to seal the concrete? ( if so, what is recommended?)
    How do I attach the hardwood floor to the concrete? ( liquid nails?)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Default Re: Hardwood floor over concrete ( not basement)

I would use a floating floor system. Floating floors do not attach to the substrate, hence the term "floating'. Typical installation of a floating floor over slab is to lay down 6mil plastic sheeting with seams having a 3' overlap and fully taped, 1/8" foam pad with fully taped seams, then the flooring. Be sure to leave a 1/4" gap around the perimeter for expansion. Baseboard or base shoe will cover the gap.

If the concrete is rough or uneven, then I would smooth it with thinset or floor leveling compound before laying the plastic.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

basically what he means is that real hardwood wont work, your looking at either engineered hardwood or laminate

real hardwood has to be fastened down
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    basically what he means is that real hardwood wont work, your looking at either engineered hardwood or laminate

real hardwood has to be fastened down
    What, didn't I say that?

My preference is engineered flooring - Kahrs is one of the best. Laminates aren't all that durable, particularly in an environment with heavy traffic, children, or animals.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

i completely agree, around here myself and some colleagues have dubbed laminate as de-laminate. as it pulls apart.

if laminate gets scratched you see a large white or green line, if engineered gets scratched it looks like a hardwood floor that gets scratched, also engineered can be refinished, laminate gets thrown out
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    also engineered can be refinished, laminate gets thrown out
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. A good engineered such as Kahrs has a nice thick finish layer that can be refinished a couple of times, whereas Bruce engineered flooring has a paper thin wood finish layer and is not refinishable, or at least you can't sand it. IMHO, when installing any flooring, it is best to go with the absolute best quality that you can afford so that it will last you many many years.

Thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned in the first post that most of the floor will be nailed onto a wooden subfloor.
    For instance:
    I have an 8' piece of unfinished hickory, and the last 2 feet will be
    on top concrete while the other 6' will be nailed down.
    What can I do to ensure the 2 feet on top of the concrete is secure?
    Do I allow this part to be floating or do I stick it to the concrete with an adhesive?
    Once again, thanks for the help.

So you're using full thickness flooring? Then you can't do a floating floor because it has to be fastened down. I've never done this over concrete, though I've seen others install 3/4" plywood over the slab with nails and glue, then nail the hardwood down to that.

If it were me in this situation, I think I'd end the flooring at the doorway and install floating floor over the slab.

I'm in a similar situation. I want to put hardwoods down on the ground floor of my home - full concrete slab. I've heard similar opinions on standard engineered flooring vs. solid hardwoods. What are your thoughts on how bamboo would work for this application?

Guys

No need to discuss the fine points of laminate or engineered floors over concrete. The is a system out that has been around ten years called Elastilon. You can install wood floors from 5/16 to 1 in. You roll out the Elastilon on the concrete floor, put your T & G floorboards down and then carefully peel off the top membrane and the surface contacts the boards and the boards stick to the now exposed sticky surface. The boards are now permanently in place. It is very similar to snow and ice guard for roofs if your have every used that product.

You do have to glue the ends of the boards to each other but that is the only other labor necessary. We are considering it for our new house which will be under construction this year. If the ooncrete is below grade you must use a poly sheet to keep the moisture from coming up or if the floor is more then 3.9% you must use the 6 mil poly barrier. Google it and also find a demo video on you tube.