+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default quarter round in kitchen remodel

We remodeled our kitchen. We have painted white base and quarter round throughout the house and would like to do the same in the kitchen. My question is what do I do for the quarter round around the cabinets? It seems odd to have the white quarter round and then stained around the cabinet but also just as odd with white quarter round on the cabinets as well.
    Insight and pics if any would be appreciated.

Default Re: quarter round in kitchen remodel

I would forgo quarter round at the cabinets, partly for the bulk it will add to the cabinet and for the space it will take out of the toe-kicks.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

if i do that, how do i cover the gaps? We have pergo laminate floors and they say that the floor cannot be less than 1/2" for contraction/expansion. I wanted to put the floor in before the cabinets but I was also told that was not a good idea.

First, I would not recommend Pergo, it's not a very good product. Second if you do go with a laminate, DO NOT run it under the cabinets because I guarantee you'll be replacing within 5 years or less, depending on the amount of traffic and abuse the floor sees. Whether you run the flooring under cabinets or not is more a personal preference than a right or wrong way of doing things. There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods.

Typical expansion gaps run 1/4" to 3/8", which is less than the thickness of most baseboards. I personally prefer to remove baseboards and replace or reinstall them over the top of the flooring rather than burying them behind flooring and quarter round.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I was told that the spacing needed to be 1/2" so I have to use base and quarter round. For thee cabibets i have the toe kicks but will also need round. Do you i should match the cabinets for the round that i need to place there?

This is directly from the Pergo installation instructions. If this link doesn't work for you, Google "pergo installation instructions" and click the first link.

Pergo must be installed as a floating floor and must
    not be fixed to the subfloor. A 1⁄4" expansion space
    must be provided around the perimeter of the room
    and any fixed objects such as pipes or columns.
    Door
    jambs and casings must be undercut. The Pergo
    flooring must be placed at least a 1⁄4" beneath the
    undercut jambs and casings. A 1⁄4" expansion space
    must also be included beneath the undercut jambs
    and casings. Areas greater than 66 feet in length
    or width require a 1⁄2" expansion space around the
    perrimeter of the room and all fixed objects.
    I'll stick with my original statement of not needing or wanting quarter round along the cabinets. The only reasons to use a quarter round is:

1. Aesthetics - You like that look and style
    2. Necessity - Excessive gap or the flooring is being laid up to the base rather than the flooring going under the base.

A standard reversible base is around 5/16" thick and may be too narrow to cover the expansion gap, however IMHO, this same base would also be lost behind quarter round because it doesn't have the height or mass to carry the additional molding aesthetically. Standard colonial base is 7/16" thick which is more than enough to cover an expansion gap without the need of quarter round, taking quarter round into the "personal preference or aesthetic" category.

simply keep the toe kicks off the cabinets until after the floor is installed, when you put the floor down keep it off the actualy cabinets by 1/2" then scribe the toe kick to the floor. by doing this the floor can still move but the toe kick will hide any gaps
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    when you put the floor down keep it off the actualy cabinets by 1/2" then scribe the toe kick to the floor.
    Again, Pergo does not require a 1/2" gap unless the area is extremely large. I've never seen a house with an uninterrupted 66' width or run. I do completely agree with the rest of your suggestions about toe kicks and scribing.

im not really sure what pergo is, maybe its a regional name

btw, thats a smart dog
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Pergo is the brand of a laminate here. One of the first as I recall. There are other brands, but Pergo is the laminate that most of the big boxes carry and the name most people recognize or associate with laminate products.