+ Reply to Thread

Default converting a switched outlet into a regular outlet

I'm trying to add a light and ceiling fan to my bedroom. The room is currently lit by a lamp that's plugged into a switched outlet that ends at the switch(not thru wiring). If I replace the switched outlet with a regular outlet and run a wire from the switch to the ceiling (make a thru wiring), will that work? And if that won't work, what do I need to do?

Default Re: converting a switched outlet into a regular outlet

First things first, you'll need to work out if the power is at the outlet or the switch.

You can do this by using a non-contact voltage detector. If there is a hot wire at the outlet even when the switch is off, then the power is probably going to the outlet. If when the switch is off there are no hot wires in the outlet box, then the power is probably at the switch. I say probably because there is always a chance that another circuit is also run through the box. You'll need to identify all cables in the box to be sure.

If the power is at the switch, then you can use that power for the ceiling fan, and you'll need to find power for the outlet.

If the power is at the outlet, then you'll need to find power for the ceiling fan. Then you have the choice of running power through the ceiling fan, or through the switch.

Note: I'm not an electrician, just a weekend warrior. If you fry yourself doing this it's not my fault. If in doubt, call an electrician.

Yes it can be done, however we need to know how many cables and wires you have in the receptacle box and the switch box. Knowing how it is currently wired will allow us to guide you through the necessary wiring. There are just too many combinations to list them all.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the help so far. There are two 14-2 wires that go into the box. The receptacle is wired like this:

- the top left of the receptacle is connected with a white wire
    from 14/2 (I'll call it WIRE "A")

- the top right of the receptacle has black wire that comes from
    the other 14/2 (I'll call it WIRE"B")

- the bottom left of the receptacle doesn't have any wire connected to it.

- the bottom right has a red wire connected to it. The red wire comes from a wire
    nut that has the black from WIRE A and the white from WIRE B tied together.

The red wire is always "hot'' when I put a detector to it. The top right of the receptacle turns on and off when i throw the switch.

The switch is single pole that has one 14/2 wire with white wire connected on the top and the black on the bottom.

My thinking is, if I replace the receptacle and connect WIRE A (assuming its line) to the top of the receptacle and WIRE B (assuming its load) to the bottom and then continue to the switch with WIRE B and then from the switch to a light /ceiling fan that's yet to be installed, will that work?

Here is what you need to do (I didn't include ground wires) One way is to run new cable to switch the other is to run new cable to outlet.
    Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wire change.JPG 
Views:	446 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	3607   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wire change[2].JPG 
Views:	354 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	3608  

If the switch box is large enough for the extra splice, you can simply bypass the switch in the box by twisting the wires together and putting a wire nut on the splice, then jumper whatever else you need to the use the switch for the fan. If the box is big enough.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

The switch box is kind of tight. My last question before I start this project is, if I were to wire the circuit like this(which would be easier for me to wire):
    CIRCUIT.jpg

is that similar to the diagram that you drew? and is the switched receptacle eliminated ( i think it is)?

Yes, that matches the one drawing I made and will work.
    One note, if you use a double switch and run 3 cond cable to fan/light you could then use one for the fan and one for the light.
    Jack