+ Reply to Thread

Cool Idea about heating better my house….

My house on middle I have living room with maybe 18” height, on one side master bed and other 2 bedroom. On living room I have big fireplace, center of living room. We are saving lot money with heating our house, and I was having this crazy idea but I need to share to see if works or even if I can do it, because of codes, laws and other issues.
    Well, like I said the fireplace it’s on middle of the house, no attic on Living room, only on bedrooms, and I was thinking about, like everybody know the heat stays up on living room and takes a little long to go to the rooms, well I was thinking about make on very top of the living room a access for duck and have a small blower and send the hot air to the bedrooms, so then I would have the rooms heat up faster.
    What you guys think?
    Thanks a lot
    Sorry about my English. I’m from MA, but originally Brazil.
    Richard

Default Re: Idea about heating better my house….

Quote Originally Posted by richardic View Post

My house on middle I have living room with maybe 18” height, on one side master bed and other 2 bedroom. On living room I have big fireplace, center of living room. We are saving lot money with heating our house, and I was having this crazy idea but I need to share to see if works or even if I can do it, because of codes, laws and other issues.
    Well, like I said the fireplace it’s on middle of the house, no attic on Living room, only on bedrooms, and I was thinking about, like everybody know the heat stays up on living room and takes a little long to go to the rooms, well I was thinking about make on very top of the living room a access for duck and have a small blower and send the hot air to the bedrooms, so then I would have the rooms heat up faster.
    What you guys think?
    Thanks a lot
    Sorry about my English. I’m from MA, but originally Brazil.
    Richard
    on your other topic string you said this was a wood stove and you were looking for a cheap alternative to a $180 safety fence you saw on line to keep your children from getting too close to the stove, didn't you? which is it? a fireplace, a fireplace with an insert, a fireplace with a wood stove or a wood stove?

a paddle fan or two mounted on long rods from the ceiling might help you circulate that warm air you could also install transom windows above the bedroom doors and open them in the winter? or just keep the bedroom doors open?

first it doesn't make any difference what you have as far as fireplace, insert or wood stove. yes your idea would work, we did something similar in our basement in northern michigan when I was younger. he built a hood to go over the wood furnace and connected it into the duct work of the house and hooked up a blower on it to force the air faster.

As Havana said it doesn't make any difference which you have, your basic assumption that a lot of heat is at the cathedral ceiling is true. Yes you can do as you posted. In fact you can even put blowers in that are controlled by thermostats so the bedrooms don't get to hot. Oh and you do not need to apologize about your English.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Lightbulb Re: Idea about heating better my house….

so you guys really understand what I was having on my mind.
    Its true , the heat stays way up on cealing. I try to use the fan that we have bud does not help. SO I was thinking on having a way to send all the heat to the roons, the heat from hight cealing.
    Yes I do have another wood stove on basement and build fence so my kids dont get burn, looks nice and works too.
    On living room I have wood fire place and have blower on it, factory made.
    it Help me a lot.
    Thanks guys

thats great. please let us know what you end up doing and how it works.

Yes, we know exactly what you ment, and will be of as much help as we can.

Não pague nenhuma atenção ao meesage rude e sinta-a livre fazer todas as perguntas que você gostar. Não, I don' t fala sua língua mas tem um programa do tradutor.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb