+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vapor Barriers

Default Vapor Barriers

I'm currently remodeling my home in Atlanta, GA. The house is 32 years old. I'm basically combining two bedrooms into one large master bedroom, master closet and master bathroom. I'm very confused about whether or not I need a vapor barrier on the exterior OR interior walls for the bathroom. I plan on building a 3 walled tiled shower that will not touch any exterior walls within the bathroom. The bathroom itself will have one exterior wall. My current exterior insulation is the fiberglass paper faced insulation batts between the studs, then some kind of black faced fiber board nailed to the studs, and lastly the exterior cedar siding. I've heard and seen so much about vapor barriers on TV shows such as yours and Holmes on Homes. I was a little confused on the issue after I read the IRC 2009 code requirements. Do I need vapor barriers at all on any of my walls whether exterior or interior for my bathroom, for my "location zone" within the U.S.? Do I need a vapor barrier for the bathroom ceiling which will of course include the shower ceiling (my attic is right above the bathroom ceiling)? Any advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated on this confusing issue.

Default Re: Vapor Barriers

I need a vapor barrier for the bathroom ceiling which will of course include the shower ceiling (my attic is right above the bathroom ceiling.Any advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated on this confusing issue.

There is extreme wetness near the base of the walls 1 perticurally to the south and west and one to the north and west sides. I have had the attic ventilation balanced and it has gotten a little better.

Mike Holmes talks about vapor barriers a lot because he is lives in Canada where it is very cold and they are required to ensure that moist interior air doesn't come into contact with cold exterior sheathing in the winter. His requirements are much different than someone in Atlanta, GA, where the winters are a much different story.

Take a look at www.buildingscience.com. They have a lot of very useful guidance on where a vapor barrier is needed (both in terms of your climate, and the location within the wall assembly).

Hello members, commenter’s as well as everybody else!!! The forum was extremely awesome! A lot of good information and inspiration, both which we all need Keep ‘am coming… you all can such a great job at such Concepts… aren’t able to inform you how much I, for just one appreciate all you do.