+ Reply to Thread

Default wires in ceiling light?

My kitchen has a ceiling fixture that at one time was a fan/light combination-now just a light fixture. We are trying to replace the fixture. Unfortunately when the fixture was removed to replace the balast we did not code the wires. This is an older home-all the wires are black. In the box there are three 'holes' that wires come from. One hole has three wires, the other two have two wires each. One set of wires (one from each box)is capped with a wire cap leaving one wire from each of two boxes and two wires from the third box. My question: which wires do we use for the fixture which has a black, a white, and a green wire; and what do we do with the extra wire?

Default Re: wires in ceiling light?

If the color of the wires is not evident, leave this to a professional.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

spruce is probably right here for you.. you could buy a voltage meter and figure it out yourself, but its hard to explain how to use one over the internet. Meters arnt exactly cheep either, a decent one costs $90 plus, I personally spent $600 on mine. so your gonna wanna take that into account in your decesion.

From your description you probably have wiring for power and a couple of switch loops. It is almost impossible to diagnose without being on site unless you know how to trace wiring.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by grannyfarrell View Post
    Unfortunately when the fixture was removed to replace the balast we did not code the wires.
    Oops -----

Ditto what the others mentioned .
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush