+ Reply to Thread

Default Addition of a Bonus Room over Garage

I am currently looking to buy a home built in 2005 that originally had a provision for an over garage bonus room in the plans, however the current owner at the time the home was built elected not to add the room. He advises that the builder at the time did try to get him to go ahead an put in place the structural support so that the room could be completed in the future, but he elected not to spend the money. The garage is a three car, side load that is approximately 25 deep by 40 wide and the area that would have housed the stairwell from inside the home to the room was completed as a closet, so the area for the stairs is in place. I believe that the existing structure over the garage are 2 x 10's spanning the 25' width, but do not know the spacing. I have been informed that the structural support can be "retro-fit" without requiring any support posts or anything of the like in the garage, but am wondering exactly how this could be done and what the cost would be. Any help?

Default Re: Addition of a Bonus Room over Garage

Sistering larger joists may be one option. Another would be to sister steel plate to the joists. Costs will vary from location to location.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Sistering larger joists may be one option. Another would be to sister steel plate to the joists. Costs will vary from location to location.
    Jack
    Thanks Jack, I have been told about this "sistering" but I am wondering how you deal with placing 25-26' boards into an area that is already constructed. There is a window that would allow for the boards to be brought in, however I am at a bit of a loss on details. In your opinion is this easy to do or hard to do? Obviously I lack any knowledge of contstruction techniques. It is my understanding that the original quote to do this when the house was constructed was approx $1800. I am just wondering if now it would cost two...three times that amount? As far as the actual finishing, ie drywalling, etc. I am not too concerned about the costs of that.

Sorry, but can't see you house or it's construction. I have run into situations where we had to remove some siding and sheeting to slide sisters in and other cases where we could get the new joists into the room and had enough wiggle room to install them.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Sorry, but can't see you house or it's construction. I have run into situations where we had to remove some siding and sheeting to slide sisters in and other cases where we could get the new joists into the room and had enough wiggle room to install them.
    Jack
    Thanks, I understand.